Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripping Down a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Not quite sure where this should go, Im going to try it here.

My first bass was a Squire P in black finish but im tired of it now. Id love to strip it down and refinish it in its natural glory. But the problem is that Im concerned about the quality of the wood. I dont want to spend my well-earned dosh only to find a hideous piece of wood underneath the black.

Help! Should I Do It?

Jack

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would advise against it. The wood of a Squier is...not good.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Handled like a pro. :D :p

4. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Remove a bit of the finish under the pickguard, therefore, if you don't like it, you put the pickguard back on and keep the black...

One more thing: I've got a '83 Japanese Squier P that was sanded down and is now in a natural/orange transparent colour. It isn't the best looking wood, but it looks very nice to me!

5. Likely what you are looking at is poplar, so don't get your hopes up.

6. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    I stripped my Squier P-bass. Here's a picture. It's plywood.

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    You sure thats plywood? The site just says 'solid hardwood'. Dont think ill be doing it then.

Pöl, any chance you could post some pictures? Might help me decide.

8. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Check my first post of this thread, there's a link there with a pic of the bass. It isn't plywood, that's for shure...

If that doesn't work, check out www.fairytone.com in the 'gallery' section, there might be a pic of the bass (it's the orange one)

PM if all the above does not work!

Laterz

9. What you most likely will find is that in producing the solid color/painted bass, they (the manufacture) use essentially scrap wood. Or better put, small pieces glued together to make the proper size to make the bass. This is not really a bad thing when it comes to it being a bass, but it may not be the best looking slab of wood. The grain won't match, color of the wood may be off, knots, etc. I say go for it. If ya don't like it, paint it black.

AW

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I used to have a 1990's Squier Jazz. 5A grade Plywood :bawl: That's why it always sounded like CRAP!

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would advise against it. Early in my career I was going to refinish an old Peavey Milestone. I sanded the body and when I got to the arm relief there where the plys! So a natural finish was out of the question.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Soeey Pöl, must have missed the link. That doesnt look half bad actually, but if there were any knots, it would suck, bad. The agony of choice. If I stripped it down and then had to refinish it it would put me way out of pocket, and im only 14. :bawl:

Too all who have stripped it down: Any knots?
    The grain not matching wouldnt really bother me but a huge black dot certainly would.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mr.Jack, I'm sure you'll have the same crappy result as everyone but Pöl...Squiers made in Japan in the eighties were actually pretty good quality, not like the crap they pour out of Korea these days...and you wonder why they all have solid colors...

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Then its decided. Im not doing it. Thanks for the help guys!

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I did it to mine, and the only thing wrong with it is all the bondo... but if you can get over the patches of bondo, it looks sexy.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Actually nowadays they're from indonesia. The koreans are actually making some good stuff. Just look at the stuff from Rondo Music. :cool:

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Mine says made in Korea, 2002.

18. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "Then its decided. Im not doing it. Thanks for the help guys!"

If only other 14 year olds listened to good advice and were this polite.

:D

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen to that!

20. i am only 14 as well and was pondering this same idea today. although i have already decided i am making mine a fretless i was actually wanting to srip it and but the transparent orange finish on it my ibanez is transparent red and looks quite nice but i guess i will take the pick guard off and see what the wood looks like under there and then decide.