Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Structural Overkill?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ii7-V7, Feb 27, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm going to begin building an EUB once I get a few more components. Right now I'm in the planning and drawing stage. The design that I'm going with is similar to, but not a copy of, the bespoke basses with the two long pieces of wood running perpendicular to where the top would be. These connect the neck to the endpiece. The bridge will press on these two supports. Check out the photos of Bespoke Basses at http://www.bespokebasses.co.uk

I'd like to keep to weight as low as I can while still maintaining structural integrity. The question is can I get away with using two 1"x4" pieces of Poplar? Would I have to go thicker, or should I go with a stronger wood such as maple? I'd like to avoid overkill and I think that two pieces of Poplar bearing the weight across its short face should be plenty strong enough.

Chad

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm copying this thread in the Setup & Repair forum where there are several luthiers lurking.