1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strunal 5/5

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by GtarGreg, Nov 27, 2018.

1. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    Hello! I am trying to research the basic price range of a Strunal 5/5 model bass. The inside label shows "Luby, Czech Republic" and a serial number. It does not have any blemishes really and certainly no previous repair work. It has a new bridge and strings.

I realize that you cannot really appraise an instrument without seeing it or at least some pictures but I am hoping someone can tell me what a range might be. Is this a carved top model? If it is in good shape, is it worth at least $5.5K?

(Update: is there a history of these basses whereby they used to make them "by hand" in the past? Apparently this is one of those...)

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'd be shocked if anyone can offer anything without seeing some photos

GtarGreg likes this.
  3. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    You have a good point! I will try to get some. Thanks for the reply..!

4. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    Here: my understanding is this is and older, fully carved bass but I know enough to be dangerous. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

5. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Top is carved, back too maybe, hard to tell from the photo. All I got.

6. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    What else would be good to show?

7. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Always wise to show the neck joint to the body as it is prone to failure- not bass particular, just the nature of having a large instrument with over 200 pounds of pressure wanting to pull the scroll to the tailpiece. Accidents do happen...

8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    These were widely available recently. Fully carved spruce top, maple back/sides. Just Google the model and lots pops.

BTW, I believe you need to be a supporting member to get the valuation question you’re asking answered here. :cautious:

9. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    Here's the neck joint. It looks to be in excellent shape.

Attached Files:

10. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    I appreciate that. I'd pay for an appraisal, but I'm just asking a ranged opinion. I'm sure I can add some value the forum along the way. I like it here and thank you everyone for your replies.

11. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Where are you located? You could get a nice older carved bass in that range depending on where you are?

More importantly how does it play and sound?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  12. GtarGreg

GtarGreg

Feb 12, 2015
    N/A
    Southeast..and its a great bass - heavier than a basic Shen, fuller and louder tone. Plays about the same.

13. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    $5,500 seems rather high to me. If you’re located in the states (your profile doesn’t say), 5.5K could buy you an exemplary Shen, a Xuechang Sun, or an Upton Gary Karr. All new.

Fretless55 likes this.
  14. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Of course, those are 3/4 models, which are the standard sizes. Are you sure you wsnt a 4/4 model? Those tend to call for large hands.

15. First let me say I’m a happy player of a Strunal 5/35 hybrid!

But, with a budget of 5.5K, there are a lot better options out there...

16. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Let me add my $0.1. These basses are sold for $2500 new in Europe. They are constructed in Luby, the Czech Republic and they are fully carved flatbacks, featuring a medium grained spruce top and unflamed maple ribs and back. What's the point to pay more than the double price of a new one? If you live in the States you have unlimited choices but even in Europe with $5500 you can buy a much better instrument.
    Mike

GtarGreg likes this.