Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu Hamm style tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by brake, Mar 2, 2004.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    How can I get my right hand to sound the notes off cleaner than it is now? I'm not terrible at tapping, but for some reason when I'm doing two handed pieces (Linus & Lucy for example).. the right hand tapped notes dont ring nearly as loud as the lower notes.

Does anyone have any advice on this style/technique?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    practice.

change attack applied to fretting the notes.
    (i.e. fret lower notes softer and higher notes harder)

also boost your volume a little, that way you do not have to fret notes extremely hard.

As for setup, lighter strings and a low action always will help.

3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I was going to say about the low action as well! I did a lot of exercises with my right hand fingers to get their strength up. Even now there is a slight difference in volume between my left hand and right hand taps, but no where near as much as before.

Try tapping the major scales high up the fret board, using one finger per fret rule. There is a lesson/video of this on the Warwick Bass 101 website, but I can't find the link at the moment! I'll find it for you.

Good Luck anyway!

Andy

4. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm usually fine when I do two-handed EVH style licks, but doing double-stops like this really screws me up.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    EVH as in Eddie Van Halen, the guitarist for Van Halen.

that stuff (Eruption style tapping) is probably over your head if you cannot figure out comping stuff on your own.

6. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Erm... I dont think you got what I said. I said I can do two-handed EVH style tapping just fine, I come from that school of guitar playing (I started off playing guitar and switched to bass about a year ago).

For some reason, I cant tap double-stops with my right hand like Stu does, but I think it's just an issue of muscle memory/strength when tapping fast. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips.

Also, where did that last sentence come from? When did I ask about that? :confused:

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    well sorry if i misunderstood. but i feel comping (i.e. Linus and Lucy) is easier than tapping the way Eddie does it.

sorry if I offended you it just sounded like a question a newer player would ask, therefore treated it as such. since you are beyond that than i wish you good luck and hope you figure it out.

:bassist: rock on brother! :bassist:

8. well i found out the same volume differences when i was tapping and i figured out that it was two things for me...

1. the bass
    2. just controlling strength

well first i was using an ibanez atk....great for slap..not tap..and 2..i was just using too much strengh on my left hand...great at some times but if you want the same volumes the easiest thing to do is to compromise each hand..play a little stronger in your right hand and a little weaker on my left....

as with the bass..i just bought one of stu's kubicki's....that made a great difference...

also...just practise practise practise...the way i practise is to take guitar lines and figure out how to tap them...ive been doing 'Stairway to Heaven" for the last fortnight and thats a great guitar line to tap to figure out how to control your dynamics....

well..as usual im rambling on..so ill quit before i make a COMPLETE ass outta myself

peace heath