1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Studio 5 string Bass...need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shadyru, Apr 29, 2009.

1. shadyru

shadyru

Mar 18, 2008
    Hi I have a American Fender Precision Bass 4 stringer but need one more bass for lower tunings. But need to go used and possibly under $300 also this is just for studio (breaking benjamin, tool, nickelback, etc.)
    Is the Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 a quality studio bass?
    Any other recomendations maybe even Agile?

2. shadyru

shadyru

Mar 18, 2008
    My choices right now:

Schecter Stiletto Custom 5

or

Sx 5 stringer not sure which one? any ideas?

or

a Brice 5 stringer?

any ideas would be awesome

need a bass that sits nice in a dense rock mix

3. For studio work you would want a bass that is noiseless and one that has perfect intonation. Some of your cheaper basses have cheap electronics or horrible hardware to the point that they won't stay in tune or won't keep their intonation for very long. I'd say the best bang for your buck in your price range would be a Squier VM Jazz or P bass. That way if you needed to upgrade to better electronics or hardware there's plenty of nice stuff that will fit your bass without modding. Plus, I've heard great things about those basses. I've never owned one but I played a VM Jazz at GC and it felt nice. It was heavy IMO but still felt nice.

4. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Those are strictly 4-stringers last I checked. For $300 I'd look through used gear to get more mileage out of my money.

5. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    i would go for the schecter or else less expensive bass like brice and sx may need modif.. I have a brice Z6 and it was decent but I still changed electronic after 2 years

6. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    I wouldn't overlook some of the ESP ltd basses. I had a really inexpensive one that had a great neck on it and I was able to get some very low action.

Another thought. I have the Peavey BXP 5'er with the active electronics. Another very nice bass...