Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Studio problem with Zon/Lightwave

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PaiMei, Jan 14, 2006.

1. PaiMei

PaiMei The Highwayman

It was my first time laying down with the Zon. We would record fine but on playback there would be an occasional 10-15 second burst of "static". I had a fully charged battery and even plugged in the power adaptor but that made it worse, creating a bit of a "whine". It really only bothered twice, mysteriously appearing and going away. We were able to get the work done but my confidence is shaken in using it again. My God, this bass is great but I have no experience with the Lighwave system. Perhaps the shielding isn't up to snuff? It's a Sonus 5 fretless maybe five or six years old. Maybe there are updates to the Lightwave pickups? I don't know where to start...

2. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    I think their electrical shielding is reasonable in the one I looked at (newer).

If it happens in the future try putting you hand over the pickups.
    If the noise stops - then it was probably optically induced. The light would be longer wavelength than your eyes can see but is easily generated by the sun or most hot filament light bulbs.

You might also check your sensor alignment which is explained in their manual. Misalignment would make the system more sensitive to problems.

If the noise does not stop - then you have an electrical problem. You might also check for loose wiring problems in the electronics cavity.

3. PaiMei

PaiMei The Highwayman

Hey, thanks a lot. I really appreciate your ideas.

4. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    I heard an interesting story about a photo session and a Light wave system...seems strobe flashes converted into incredible DC pulses...