1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid Buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deathbassist, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Ok i have a Oscer Schimdt OB50 by washburn. The string buzz so freaken bad and trust me my intonation isn't the problem because it does it when it's open and i could press on the string as hard as i wanted to and break my finger but it still buzzes. I don't know if it would be the truss rod or if it has somthing to do with the tuning keys. I tune from drop A to standard and everything in between and i don't know if that could also be doing it. Also while i'm hear would this affect my string to where the condition is they break talking about if my tuning keys are the problem. Because when i tune my bass up to say drop D after it's been in drop A as i tune it to those notes the tuning keys want to get tighter and on my FenderP bass the tuning keys don't do that so i have a feeling that the problem could be infact my tuning keys. Also my FenderP bass string don't buzz like they are with my Washburn OB50. If you guys have any suggestions please tell my how much it would cost for you to go and get that repaired. thanx

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Ok, this may not sound like much help, but I can promise it will work. Take it to your local shop and have it setup (should be cheap). While it is being setup read through the setup guides on this site and elsewhere, and learn how to do it yourself to save you cash in the future.

If you would like an explanation to your problem, its your action is most probably too low, which in itself is an easy fix, but you would benefit from a setup to get you on your way.

Tuning to A is not something that can be done with standard gauge strings and a normal action (either the action must be raised, or the string gauge raised). If you play in drop tuning a lot it may be worth getting some higher gauge strings, then having your bass setup.

Theres a little too much here to cover in one post, but keep reading and you will soon get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.
    PS; it has nothing to do with your tuning keys :).

3. Thank You i take it to a local shop and do what you said. I used some light guague strings and then i switched to some strings to higher guage it still buzzes but not as bad it's not audible in the amp! ( i had my friend stand outside of my room and he said he couldn't hear a buzz in the amp but i could hear just on the bass itself) but ya thanks man!!!

4. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Cool, glad to help. A certain amount of buzz is acceptable, as long its not audible through the amp. Most of my basses have a slight bit of buzz when playing hard. It makes sense that higher gauge strings eliminated some buzz too, as the heavier the gauge, the less movement in the string.

If you would like to have a go at setting it up yourself, it will be the little allen/hex screws on your bridge saddles. But it may be a good idea to have it setup at a shop as previously said, so they can do the truss rod adjustment for you (or see if it needs and adjustment).