1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid Frat Joke

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Caught this on my local news. Surely will be what everyone is talking about at the coffee shop in the morning, and where I stop for breakfast.

-Mike

3. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    I consider fraternities to be stupid period.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    If you think this is bad then you probably have no clue what goes on in almost any given fraternity house on almost any given night...

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Let's not paint them all with the same brush. I was in a fraternity and while we got into plenty of mischief, we generally treated women with respect.

Of course, that may have something to do with going to Ga Tech at a time when it was still 75% male.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im no fan of any article where the author addresses the reader as "ya'll".

Also, this sentence "It’s actually kind of nerdy and cute, until you get to the final three “personal questions.”" strikes me as odd, when the only really offending question is the last one.

1. Where in public would I want to have sex?

2. Who’s my favorite artist?

3. If I could rape someone, who would it be?

I find nothing wrong with the first two, but see how that last one could raise some eyebrows. I wont be signing the petetion, though.

7. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    The others were listed to show how nonchalant the last question was. As if it was not an obvious joke.

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So this is the result of Sig Ep's "Balanced Man" chapter initiative :scowl:

Like Pookie said, you shouldn't paint all fraternities as the same. There's a huge difference between frat boys and fraternity men, and my house definitely instilled the latter. We always treated women with respect, I'd gotten into a fight with frat boys from a different house (Pikes....) when they tried date raping one of my friends, and if anyone from our chapter tried that we'd have kicked them out in an instant.

9. Never really got the frat thing, don't really get them over here.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Seriously?

That just wasted a minute of my life...

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Theyre starting points for some that lead to bigger things. A lot of it is shaking hands and taking names and making contacts for the future.

12. Good for networking and such I guess?

Are frats just specific to the university they are located, or are they linked across the country? Would Delta Tau Chi be an independant house, or would it be related to any Delta Tau Chi's at other institutes?

(sorry, my knowledge of frat houses is limited to Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds :D )

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Fraternities have national headquarters and brothers from other chapters are meant to be treated as equals. However, with very few exceptions (IME Pike and Sigma Chi) most chapters are different.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    In other news I have a twelver of Racer 5 IPA cooling in my man cave fridge.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My knowledge of frats on college campuses is as well, so Im not sure if chapters are linked across the country (maybe even globe) but ROTN led me to believe they might be.

But, I think being a part of a fraternity extends beyond the college campus. Ive heard businessmen make mention of what fraternity they belonged to in conversation. There are also fraternities that arent associated with colleges like the Lions Club and organizations like that.

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Most fraternities are national or international. Each chapter will typically have a greek alphabetical designation following the name of the national fraternity.

eg: I am a member of Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Nu Chapter (Ga Tech).

17. Okay now I'm interested! :p

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Fair enough. But being in a fraternity myself, and playing in a band that gets hired by many fraternities both at my college and others close by, you do see and hear plenty of things that make this question seem rather tamed and almost common place :meh:

Also, I think GA Tech is roughly the same still. My ex goes there and I think she said the number was something around 68% male. I could be wrong, and she could of been over hyping the number just because she's in the aeronautics program :p

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Silly feminists. Honestly, the question was probably (hopefully) meant as a joke. I don't know, though, nor do I care. It's not as thought the Fraternity is openly advocating rape, which is what the article implies.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im sure it was included as a joke, but still its a pretty stupid question to ask at best, and incredibly offensive (if it got out to others, which it did) at worst. Feminists are not the only people offended by rape.