1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subs - Carvin vs. Yorkville

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tycobb73, May 18, 2012.

1. Carvin

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yorkville

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    $500 is about my budget. Carvin is offering a new LS1801A and I can get a used Yorkville LS700P. Buying used doesn't bother me but if the two are close I'll go new. What do you think and why?

2. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

Sep 11, 2011
    Hannibal,Mo
    My church just got into a new building, but for the last year we've been setting up in a gym using EV tops and Yorkville powered subs and they worked great, punchy, loud, but not boomy.

3. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winterpeg, Manisnowba
    I have a pair of Yorkville LS808s and they really kick.

4. I've got the Carvin. Never had a problem.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm using some budget Yorkville's and have been impressed so far. I'm leaning towards the 7200's just because I like the low profile design.

Riis

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Either would be acceptable. If you buy new you get a warranty, used you maybe squeak into the next tier of performance. I'd say these two are pretty evenly matched though.

7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

REALLY consider transport and storage.

Sometimes sub mfgs will have strange layouts that makes them bulky or funky to use.

Some Yorkville "short" subs make it tought to use them with veritcal poles.

Some subs are a strange non/traditional size that makes them tougher to store and move.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    that's what I was thinking. My guitarist would be repsonsible for transport. Less of a footprint in the vehicle and 20 lbs lighter makes me lean towards the carvin but if the difference was huge..

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

The reality is that it takes volume to go low

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    That is true but this yorkvikle is oddly shaped so it takes up more floor space than the normal eighteen, although this is a 2.10

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Some have said the weird shape makes it harder to carry.