Suggest a wiring for my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass1218, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Bass1218

Bass1218

Jan 8, 2020
    Canada
    If built a full scale,walnut version of my Warwick rock bass kinda I’m routed and have a set of dimarzio will power P-bass pickups and a Mec humbucker from the rock bass.it likely I could have a pretty complex wiring but not sure how I should do it?,,I’d like to stick to three knobs,and passive

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Complex is not necessarily better, and if you don’t have specific goals, I’d try VVT...

or, you could experiment with a few options, see what you like, then hardwire it...

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Do you mean like 2 volumes and a tone ... Like a Jazz setup? That would be simple.

1218bass likes this.
  4. 1218bass

1218bass

Jul 14, 2020
    Manitoba,Canada
    I’d like to get as much variety out of it as possible,wether it be cool splitting or series parallel switches or blend knobs or even phase,I do a lot of looping and more variety of tones is the goal

5. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    OK, how about this for variety in a three-knob format:

P goes to a push-pull volume pot that lets you switch between series and parallel wiring. On its own, a P in parallel is underwhelming, but it's good for blending with the bridge pickup (in either parallel or single coil mode).

Humbucker goes to a push-pull volume control, also switching between series and parallel. (Alternatively, if you're OK with some hum, you could switch between single coil and one of the humbucking modes.)

That gives you quite a few soloed and blended pickup options: solo P (series or parallel), solo H (series or parallel), blended P + H (series + series, series + parallel, parallel + series, parallel + parallel).

I would recommend using 500K linear taper pots for the volume controls: they'll offer fine control over blending (and remember that pickups blend best when the dominant pickup's volume is dialed back a bit). For the tone control, use a 250K audio taper pot.

That can either be a standard tone pot, or use a push-pull pot for two types of tone control: standard treble cut and a mid-scoop control using a Wilde Q-filter (note the Bass version).

Here's how someone described the Q-filter in another thread:

Bassist30 and 1218bass like this.
  6. 1218bass

1218bass

Jul 14, 2020
    Manitoba,Canada

7. 1218bass

1218bass

Jul 14, 2020
    Manitoba,Canada
    Thx a lot,that’s sounds like a great set up.i think I’ll use a lot of what you suggested and am going to look into Q filter thing,first I’ve heard o it

fermata likes this.
  8. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Cool. You could also use a 500K stacked audio taper pot so treble cut and mid scoop are available at the same time (as on a Gibson Ripper). Or ditch the normal tone control in favor of the Q filter.

Options, options...looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

1218bass likes this.
  9. 1218bass

1218bass

Jul 14, 2020
    Manitoba,Canada
    Thx again,appreciate the info,I wouldn’t have thought of it that way

fermata likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021