1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggest me a Fuzz for...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dunce180, Aug 30, 2007.

1. dunce180

dunce180

Jul 24, 2007
    Ive been really wanting to get a nice fuzz for for quite some time but ive never been able to find the right one. Right now I play in a pop/punk hardcore band (we play stuff like Senses Fails) and I find that I could use a fuzz to spice up differnt passages here and there. Im 17, so money is kind of an issue, so the cheaper the better!

I use to have a Boss ODB-3, but dident like it so thats out of the question. I really like that fuzz that Justin Chancellor uses for Tool, but then I found out the Tonebender fuzz is over 200$, so thats also out. I did some searching and found out the Little Big Muff was a good fuzz but then I heard that its very mid scooped, Boosted mids is part of my tone, so I dident like the idea of a mid scooped fuzz.

So, what I pretty much want is a fuzz that can hold low end cheap, without changing the mids lol... (if thats possible)

By the way I play Fender MIM P bass (newer model) and my amp is a Genz Benz Intro 50 (I want to evantually upgrade).

Any help would be very much appreceited! :hyper:

2. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
  3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I don't know if I'd call the LBM very mid scooped, but it definitely lacks some mids. It's worth trying out at least, since it's pretty common in stores now.

The Blowtorch is great because it is indeed mid-focused; my fuzz tone is very mid-heavy, and the Blowtorch provides it.

Here's a decent clip with my EBMM Stingray and my GK 2001RB (clean channel, preamp on). The only thing that's changed from segment to segment is the Mid Shift position:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=578779&songID=5634071

These are only three of the possible tones you can get - it's a pretty flexible and unique-sounding pedal. As for general settings, I had the Treble boosted a bit, the Bass at 12:00, the Midrange at 3:00 (boosted), the Blend at 3:00, and the Gain at 3:00.

4. dunce180

dunce180

Jul 24, 2007
    Wow, that blowtorch is awsome. A bit out of my price range though... :meh: .

I was wondering, how is the normal big muffs (big muff USA). Is it any differnt from the LBM.

Thnx for the feedback by the way :)

5. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    the LBM is smaller then the NYC muff, And i beleive the LBM has less low end loss?

Either way, The Big Muff Is a great pedl to get, and fairly inexpensive

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yep, those are the significant differences. That, and little things like the Boss-style jacks (better than the old one!).

Soundwise... besides having lots of low end, there are some minor tonal differences. How minor (or major), I'm not certain... I haven't directly compared the two - only indirectly. They're very similar, regardless.

7. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    There was a Devi Ever thread too just posted a bit ago. Couldn't a DB be a pretty good alternative? Sounds pretty dark and fuzzy to me from the sound clips I hear.

8. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    i hear its nice.

9. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    One thing you need to know about the blowtorch is it's tone is very buzzy, it will never get you the same sound as a muff or the tonebender (which I believe is pretty similar to the muff, never actually used one though) muffs are very smooth and creamy, and thats what I love about them. I bought a blowtorch and realized I was trying to justify keeping it just for its EQ section. I'm currently working on a mod for the muff that will boost the mids... but I can't get the circuit to work currently...

10. Im not really sure what it is about the tone, but the Blowtorch just doesn't seem to float my boat. Im also more into the Muff/Tonebender sound.

Id be interested in trying a mid boost mod on my black big muff

11. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    its the buzz

definitely is the buzz

12. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Yeah, the blowtorch is a very different beast than the Muff, so, as always, it depends on your ears and the setting you are using it in. I would think, though, that for punk/hardcore, the BT would be a better match than the BM, but then again, that might be just me ;)

13. dunce180

dunce180

Jul 24, 2007
    I have a Boss bass EQ, I wonder if I boost the mids on it after/before the LBM or BM it would inhance the mids on the fuzz.

Ill most likely be checking out some fuzzes at my local GC. Hopefully theyll let me test out the pedals this time...

14. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I used the Blowtorch (yes Boo I finally did) and while it sounded great on the passive Warwick, I used it on my full active Spector, didn't dig it.

Right now I'm doin a deal to get a B:assmaster, which is supposedly supposed to be a kickass analog fuzz.

Don't know how it'll work with a full active bass though.

15. Yess, I used a Big Muff Pi for years, I play with quite a midrange sound and you're right it does scoop the mids, it also adds some high overtones (which sounds like **** when your bass is DI'ed) I bought the ODB-3 and Rat and tried several others but found the key was to put a slight overdrive at the end of my signal chain... I bought a DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250 (after someone on here reccomended it) and it sounds great... I can use the BM / ODB-3 / RAT they all sound awesome with a very slight overdrive on the DOD, it gives every note a solid low-mid punch.

My usual live set-up is TU-2 -> ODB-3 -> GEB-7 -> Bass Compactor -> Overdrive/Preamp 250...

16. What Tool song uses fuzz? Look at a Rat if you are going for that H. or Third Eye flavor.

Yo.

17. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Sansamp GT2 for H. as well as most all of Tool songs. The RAT is used as his permafuzz in his dirty channel but it's subtle, he never cranks it up.

18. dunce180

dunce180

Jul 24, 2007
    I heard the Tech 21 XXL bass overdrive is pretty good and easy on the wallet. Anyone tryed it out.

My choices are now: Little Big Muff, Tech 21 XXL.

Again, im looking for an aggressive Fuzz (or heavy Distortion). Any thing under 200$ is good for me.

If anyone has sound clips of he LBM or XXL please send them here!

Thnx for everones input, it has really helped me out ;)

19. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  20. I will +1 the LBM and Devi Ever suggestions.

Here is a link to Devi's stuff.

http://stores.ebay.com/Devi-Ever-USA

Wait until he/she restocks and grab some of the "small pedals" that are very inexpensive.