Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestion for "Recording Only" Pickups for Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassman45, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Hi,

I have a new fretless MIA Jazz Bass... stock, no modifications whatsoever so far. I need to upgrade the pickups badly. They'll be used for DAW recording only (monitor buzz, etc.) so I'm probably looking for active models. Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't record but constanly read statements to the effect that the one thing that rules pups out for recording is noise. Some TB'r has the old Bassplayer J pup shootout which addresses recording for a bunch of J's. A search will pull it up. It's a lot larger and more readable than it was online through bassplayer too.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I have a pretty basic recording setup...acid pro recording software. The bass I've been recording with lately has a set of Bartolini 9j's in it, and it is dead quiet. They worked out pretty well in the studio as well. Just a thought...

BTW, I'm selling my 9j's (over in the for sale section). I like the sound of them, but after experimenting, I think I like straight single coils. I find I need to keep my hand on the strings at all times though, or buzzzzz. I'm switching them to a different bass until I can afford some replacements. I love Jason Lollar's singles (I have two sets) , but I'm determined to try a set of the Sadowsky singles.

4. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Hey thanks!

Couldn't get a working link to the Bass Player J-Bass PU shootout... any help there? However I did download most of the samples from "basstasters". The Bartolinis sound very good as do the DiMarzios. Keep in mind, I want to retain some brightness due to the fact it's a fretless. As I understand it, the frequencies below 1k are very important.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want a noiseless vintage J tone, Lindy Fralin Split Jazz are a good bet. They do preserve much high end, and are completely noise-free. They're expensive, but worth it IMO.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188065&highlight=player+magazine+shootout

the attached file is in this thread.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nobody suggested EMGs yet? Great for a fretless! Active, dead quiet, clear clean sound... EQ 'em however you like once you've laid it down.

8. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Hey bassybill!

I have some EMGs on my P-bass... definitely an upgrade from stock. Question though... my bass has the Fender S-1 switching system. With the EMGs being active, wouldn't I have to remove those electronics in order to install them?