Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for a reverb (or delay?) pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Aug 13, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I tried the Digitech Digiverb pedal and it sounded nice WHEN IT WORKED. For some reason, the thing would stop working after I used it for more than like 10 minutes. I thought it was the batteries, but it wasn't -- I sent that thing back. Maybe it was defective?

Any other recommendations for a bass reverb pedal?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't say there are any bass reverbs out there as bassists usually shy away from such effects because it tends to muddy the sound. However, I've always been fond of the Alesis Nanoverb, although not a stompbox. Hear good things about the Boss Reverb as well.

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Any comments on the EHX Holy Grail?

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Could be worth checking out the boss, RV5 I think it is now. I have an RV3 which was great when it was new. It broke and wasn't the same after being repaired.

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm in the market myself for a reverb pedal for my bass and i have tried the Boss RV-3 and the Digitech Digiverb, the Digiverb is on my buy list. 7 different reverb types that all sound great! The RV-3 had the tendency too muddy the sound. I have tried the EHX Holy grail also but on guitar, it's very simple, just one knob of how much reverb you want, but that's also the bad thing, you can't control the reverb. But the sounds are really great and natural sounding.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The only one I've ever considered is the EBS reverb pedal. I really want that pedal.

7. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I have both the digitech and the boss rv5. I'm happy with them both and use them interchangably.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I love mine, but I'm rethinking my effects and selling it.

Instant dub tones with some the neck pickup and liberal palm muting.

9. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i've been using Boss RV-5 and its cool

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've played with the BOSS reverb pedal.. it wasn't bad. Got some good stuff out of the EHX grail, as well.

I have used several of the rack-mount Alesis units, as well as a Digitech unit. They are great systems, but you have to spend a fair amount of time dialing in your presets. I think It took me over an hour to find the right settings... BUT if you are patient, you can set-up several different settings, depending on what you are looking for. I actually had 4 different settings I liked. If you want multiple settings, most of these units can use a MIDI foot controller.

The only reverb I have now is a Vintage Fender Spring tank. It's nice and clear.. warm tube tone and real springs! Iacquired this for a song, and fxed it up. The re-issues are pricey, or you can find "build your own" kits through www.hoffmanamps.com

11. Attack Sunfish

Attack Sunfish

Apr 3, 2010
    Until recently, I was using my Jazz Bass through a Fender Ultimate Chorus guitar amp, and the stereo chorus and spring reverb sounded great. Now that I have done serious damage to the amp's speakers, I need to find a new amp, chorus, and fuzz.

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    College Station, TX
    +1 for the Boss reverb. As for delays....

Analog: Maxon AD-999, Malekko Ekko 616, MXR Carbon Copy

Digital: Subdecay Echobox, Boss DD-7, Eventide Time Factor

13. Or new speakers...

14. dkhp124

dkhp124

Nov 14, 2007
    You might also want to check out the Line 6 Verbzilla. Especially the model with the Octo setting if possible. I don't have a need for it, but it still gave me GAS after I tried it out.

15. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    The old Boss RV-3, verb and delay

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer analog delay over reverb on bass. I'm using an Ibanez AD-9 with great results but recently tried out an MXR Carbon Copy that was pretty cool.

17. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the marshall reflector sounds great, and has six different modes (including analogue and reverse)

18. + 1

I'm using the EHX Memory Toy, which serves its purpose well, both as delay and reverb (on light delay settings).

But, important to note that delay or reverb are not a big part of my sound. The EHX gets it down when needed.