1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for Ibanez SR406 Preamp Replacement???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TrackmasterV, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but after reading a series of posts related to the above topic I figured I would just ask what everyone's opinions are.

I have an SR406, that just isn't cutting it tone wise, which is why I'm shooting for a preamp replacement. So far I've narrowed my options down to the following 3.

1. Aguilar OBP-3
    2. Bartolini NTMB 3band
    3. Audere 3ZB

I've read on the forum that the ibanez stock pickups aren't the best, but in an attempt to do things methodically, I figured I would upgrade the preamp first and move forward from there. The thing about the 406 is that the tone just sounds really thin and hollow. I'd like to thicken it up a little bit, but still have enough control to change my sound when need be. I play mainly R&B, soul, funk, hip hop and gospel, and I don't need anything overly aggressive. I've read that the OBP-3 preserves the natural tone but that the EQ can give you too much if you are not careful. The bartonlini I hear colors the sound a bit but that this is an acquired taste. The Audere is simply an amp that a number of people tell keep telling me to consider, so it made the list.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. engolf

engolf

Jul 31, 2009
    It would be nice with some ideas. I'm looking for both new preamp and new pickups!

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Aguilar. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Bartolini products, and the Audere was a bit noisy. Plus, the Aguilar has a usable treble frequency (under 10kHz). You likely don't move around so drastically that you risk hitting the EQ all the time (I do a lot of wild moving on stage and never once hit my preamp), so even if it's a powerful boost, find it, set it, forget it.

When I think of your playing style, Nordstrand pickups immediately come to mind.

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    It is hard to go wrong with, Bart Classic Pickups and a Demeter Preamp. You can order the Roscoe Spec Demeter preamp direct from Demeter. It will set you back about $220 but IMO it is worth the cost. Nice glassy highs, solid defined bass and enough mids to cut through without the nasal sound.

Of the three you listed, I would go with the Bartolini.

5. Thanks everyone for the input. I was on TB all night just looking for reviews and descriptions of the different preamps, as well as on the classified pages hoping someone will let one go for cheap. I'm actually leaning toward the Bartolini simply because it's cheaper and something different for me. My other basses have EMG's in it, and I want my 6 to be a different kind of beast entirely. Thanks also for the heads up on the Audere being too noisy as that is never a desired effect.