Suggestions needed!!!-VST drum machines for Cubase

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jul 30, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    So I've gotten a bunch of tracks down for a demo,
    spent hrs fiddling around putting the drum tracks down in Midi... ...My problem is this.
    THe VST drum machines I'm using sound pants. they sound lifeless and flat. Now I've spent as much time as I can fiddling aorund with the level of each strike but I just can't get the drums to sound all that good. I'm trying to get as close to a live sounding kit as I can (which is probably my problem to start off with).

So far I've tried-

Groove Agent (initially impressed, by the easy to use frontend but after an hour or so decided that none of the kits are up to anything much- most were pantsl)

Battery(sp?) better sounding kits than groove agent but still far from ideal.

Fruity loops- no, no and again I say NO!

Spent last couple of nights trying to get BFD up and running on my system, to little avail. Anyone know if this program is any good? It's considerably larger than the previous two if thats anything to go by but I'm starting to lose interest.

What am I missing ? suggestions would be most welcome. If not what are you guys using?
    Thanks, Tom
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're missing good drum samples.
    The thing to do is getting a decent drum sample player, e.g. Battery or DR-008 and a good sample CD, e.g. Drumkit from Hell or Mixtended.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Personally I use FruityLoops and the nskit from

Really the trick is to have multiple samples of the same drum or percussion instrument to get a little variety and nuance, so it sounds more human. This is especially important with the hihats. In FruityLoops I'll often have like a billion tracks of hihat samples alone. It can be somewhat cumbersome at times and requires a little patience, but I've done it this way for so long it's just kind of what I'm used to. Something like Battery would probably work a little more elegantly, since it can play different samples of the same instrument depending on the velocity at which it's hit, but I tried out the demo available and unfortunately I couldn't get it to work just right... no matter what I did with my hardware and software settings I got weird stutters and pops. I may give it a whirl again sometime though.
  4. I recommend the drumkit from hell and if you really get into it the drumkit from hell superior. The only problem with DFH is it is not GM compatible so you'd have to redo your midi drum tracks but you'd probably want to do that with such a powerful sample collection anyway.
  5. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks JMX(not for the first time!) and Ole Jason- DFH is on it's way.
    Thank you also keb, but I think I'll stick with battery- I can't rationally justify it but I just don't like Fruityloops.
  6. +1 on the suggestion of Drumkit From Hell multiformat. I think that Toontrack provides General MIDI mappings if you register the product, so you shouldn't have too much tweaking to do with your tracks. (The GM mappings were included with the Drumkit From Hell Superior package that I purchased a couple of months ago.)
  7. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    That's awesome fulcrum- thank you!