1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Sukop 5 string fretless excelent ++

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lalo_garcia-maynez, Jan 28, 2015.

1. lalo_garcia-maynez

lalo_garcia-maynez Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    image.jpg For sale a beautiful SUKOP 5 string fretless bass in near mint condition ; this bass is one of the nicest fretless I have ever played ; if you are familiar with the work of Stephen Sukop, then you know what a work of art this is!
    He's one of the most talented luthiers of the newer generation of builders.
    The specs are:
    Mahogany body with spalted maple top
    7 piece neckthrough
    Ebony fingerboard
    Bartolini pickups and preamp
    Kahler bridge
    This is indeed a great sounding and easy playing fretless bass; I just don't play fretless very much ! These basses go new for almost $4000 dollars ; and very rarely do you see them for sale on the used market (there's a reason for that ! They are that good!);if you are in the market for a PROFESSIONAL fretless bass this is a great option !
    Early serial number (118); early serial number basses are always better and built with more care and always go up in value after a few years.
    Prove includes insured shipping and gig bag
    PayPal accepted. Make an offer, no trades at this time .
    Let me know if there are any questions or if you would like to hear this bass thru Skype or FaceTime.
    Thanks !!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    BASSPLAYERS4HIM likes this.
  2. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    Bump
    Make an offer
    If you have been waiting for a great fretless at a great price grab this thing and stop postponing playing fretless !
    Take the challenge and your playing and sound to the next level ; you won't regret it!

3. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
  4. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    saturday bump...make an offer

5. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    "Super Bump" Sunday ....

6. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    One more week in here before it goes to eBay ...
    Grab this bass it's SO GOOD!!

7. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Love Sukops; bump for a great bass! What's the scale length?

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Scale length?

9. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    String spacing?

10. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    Thanks for your questions
    Scale is 34
    String spacing is .75 (19 mm)
    Width at the "last fret" is 3 inches

The bass is fantastically built; after the generation of the Boutique bass pioneers of the 70's and early 80's (Spector , alembic , ken smith , pedulla, Sadowsky , Tobias, status , zon , modulus... Did I forget any one ?) came a new generation of bass builders in the late 80's and early 90's (Surine, Kenneth Lawrence, Curbow, Kinal, and of course Mr. Sukop!). This is one of the best fretless basses I have heard , it's very well built and sounds and plays fantastic ! You don't see these basses for sale on the used market , that's always a great sign!!!
    I have actually thought of putting frets ; a guy does it here for $225... With a plek machine ; that's another option
    I may just keep it... But the thing is that it sounds so good fretless that I'm not sure I want to modify anything!

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    What is the body woods? Is the fingerboard finished? Weight? Approximate Year? Trades?

12. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    Hi
    Thanks for your questions :
    Body is Mahogany core with spalted maple top
    Ebony fingerboard not finished sounds super woody and is in great shape; neck is a 7 piece neckthrough , it is made of rock maple with wenge and purpleheart laminations; it has a very comfortable flat profile ; it feels great on the hand! This is possible because the neck is reinforced using a steel truss rod cast in epoxy resin to add strength, density and sustain; quite neat!!! These second generation bass builders took the best from the boutique bass pioneers and added their own improvements also taking advantage of the newer technologies and electronics .
    It's an early Sukop bass (#118), I believe it's from 1996 or 1995.
    I'm not looking for trades at the moment ; I have to pay a lot of taxes and need cash...
    It sucks to sell such a beauty to pay the IRS right ? Lol
    Thanks again!!

13. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    Bass is very very light
    I think 8.5 at the most

14. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Bump........
    Buy with confidence. ..Lalo is a great guy
    and very knowledgeable with basses. ....
    Great price. ..!

15. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    PM sent

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  16. lalo_garcia-maynez

Jun 20, 2014
    Sold!!!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021