1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Summit Audio TD-100 with Awesome mod!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassOverflow, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Hey guys, just wanted to let yall know that I sent my TD-100 off to Summit and had them switch my headphone jack in the back with the input jack in the front. They said mine was the first that they had done. It works great it my rack now. I don't have to have any cables coming from the back of the rack to the front of the TD-100 any more, and now if I want to practice with headphones, I just plug it into the front! I don't have to mess with the hassle of trying to plug in my headphones in the back of my rack. I'm so glad I did it! Best $50 I've spent!:bassist: Those of you who are anal about their stuff like I am will really like this mod. Just hollar at Paul at Summit and tell him I sent you! Turn around was about a week since mine was the prototype. I'm sure they can do it faster now without all the testing they did to mine.

Joe

2. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Since I had such a flood of responses, I figured I would let you know that it's been running strong like this for over 5 years now.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    Thats a really good idea. Does that unit take up a complete rack space?

4. mutebutton

mutebutton

Jun 11, 2012
    Half rack. They have a whole series of half rack units you can use together to build small channel strips. I have the 2ba-221 Mic/Line Preamp and it sounds awesome. Always wondered how this unit compared to the one I have.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So now you have to plug your instrument into the back of your TD-100?

Why not move the "Direct Out" jack to the back panel, while moving the headphone jack to the front panel?

6. therhodeo

therhodeo

Feb 28, 2011
    Owasso OK
    I think the out on his other rack gear was in the back meaning that he wouldn't have to have a cable going from the back of the rack to the front of his DI.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That would definitely make sense if his TD-100 were downstream from another piece of gear into which his instrument were plugged.

8. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    That's right, it is a 1/2 rack unit. Here's more info if you are interested:
    http://www.summitaudio.com/td100.html

That's correct. I plug my bass to the front of my Korg rack mounted tuner and that's the only cable you see. It goes from the tuner to my Boss VF-1, then to the TD-100 and finally into my Bergantino rig.

Not a great pic. It was a crop:
    bassrig1_zps92a917a8.

9. What bass do you plug into the TD-100? How do you use it?

Davo

10. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    Right now I only use a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V with an Audere preamp. It gives the tone some really nice warmth and can get a little dirty (good thing) when you turn up the output gain. I also use it as my DI when playing with a PA. It's gives an amazing tone for a DI.

The Audere gives me a huge range of tones from a vintage Jazz to modern, clean to funk slap/pop. The TD-100 just finishes it off, kinda like audio mastering an album. lol

I really like it with the Bergantino but don't think it would be necessary with rigs that have audio controls built into the amp.

11. That sounds like a hot signal with 2 preamps in-line but as a DI it would give a very good signal I'm sure. I asked because I have one and use it as a pre for my acoustic bass (Godin A4 fretless). I bypass the pre in the bass and use a pure K&K transducer to provide the signal.

Davo

12. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    You're absolutely right. It is hot in the standard setting of the Audere but I have the pots turned down (but not so much to affect the sound quality. I've tried it 1000 different ways and this gives me the most range of tones with a) not having too hot of a signal, b) no affect of tone quality and c) being able to switch to a non-active bass with just a click or two on the gain of the TD-100. I would say that this probably isn't the best set up for some/most, but it works for me. I like the Audere, but I love the TD and didn't want to give it up when I play my vintage P bass. I'm not sure that I would go the same route if I had to do it again (no Audere), but with 1 bass, I'm able to just about produce any sound I want and that means less crap to carry for gigs.

I've also played with running the Audere direct and having a switcher to the TD100. That worked well and sounded fine, but turning down the first pre allows me to ditch the A/B switcher.