Sunday go-to-meetin' bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Willy-D, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IMG_2309.JPG So what was everyone's axe dejour for church this AM.
    I P'ed myself.

nixdad, andruca, ed morgan and 5 others like this.
  2. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    aj0sz51.png
    My favorite! Also my only. :) Carvin XB76P. Just put a new set of strings on it for our annual Christmas program tonight.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Old faithful.

(On the right)

S4010356.jpg

4. SX vintage series? Got a fretless 4-string J by those guys that actually plays quite nice. P'ups were microphonice so I changed them out, but the guitar is solid!

5. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    This was today's choice of bottom end.

11519869373_63a647b2f7.jpg

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Slept in. Resigned in the spring

Doctor J likes this.
  7. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'm kind of curious, what do church players look for more? Conservative appearance or tone? I figure the tone can be adjusted at the amp but could you get away with something besides the basic Precision or Jazz with most congregations?

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm just genuinely curious, since I've never actually seen or played in a church band. No trolling here

n1as and Doner Designs like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Funny you should ask. I just put up a NBD thread since I finished this Frankenstein the other night. Plays like buttah. Sounds very "woody" and vintage. Light as a feather.

Mighty Mite body
    DiMarzio PAF era pickup
    Sanded the neck and put a thin oil on it.
    Hard to tell from the pic but it's a light Sonic Blue.
    20161211_115823.jpg

9. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Creswell, OR
    I usually go with my Alembic fretless...this morning was no exception!

IMG_1047.JPG

MrLenny1, andruca, ed morgan and 2 others like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IMG_2017.JPG

I went basic today. Fours work in church much better than some admit. If needed, I can tune down a whole step and sound fine. I may do a video of MJ's Rock wit You (Bobby Watson) just to show how good it sounds detuned. The neck on my Fernandes Atlas reminds a lot of old USA Peavey basses, especially the Foundation, which means the neck is thin and fast!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  11. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I have used 5-string Stingrays and 5-string Jazz basses for 3 years at my church. Very-well liked. Well, showing up, being on time, and being prepared always helps, too...:D.

I had an Alembic Series One that I brought for one service. The MDs liked it, but I could tell they would probably rather I have one of my regular instruments. And while I loved playing the Alembic, I have to agree, it might have been a bit much. Not to say, I wouldn't do it again if I had another one...:laugh:

Dr. Cheese and lostreality like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know it's not church talk, but it would be hard to find a nicer pair outside of a Victoria's Secrets catalog.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  13. No thing.
    Don't know if my experience it typical or not, but I play whatever instrument feels/plays right to me at the time. Aesthetics don't go into the selection.

That said, I own traditional instruments. I don't have a KISS axe bass... may think twice about that

AndreasR likes this.
  14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Go-to meetin means church?

Tjazz5 and woodyng2 like this.
  15. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Obviously not my pic but it's the same bass
    IMG_7122.JPG

Sorry the picture is huge

Panych, alack, Tom Henry and 2 others like this.
  16. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't thing apparence comes into to play for most of us because:

1) it's a bass, nobody's looking lmao
    2) if it fits the music best then that's what you use

Now of course if there's a stripper sticker plastered on the front (or that bass that keep popping up that looks looks.... well you know)... those are a different story.

lostreality and Tjazz5 like this.
  17. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    took me a second to get the green string/Xmass thing, I love it

Will_White likes this.
  18. Gorn: yes, sorry. Generational expression.

Likely won't see many metal heads playing in a worship service, but the thought of Lemmy playing backup on "Be Thou my vision" amuses me...

Mktrat likes this.
  19. sorry- thought you typed Striper, not stripper. Now you are talking a reverend Horton Heat worship...

20. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    We don't have any drummers in our church so I play a lot of walking lines and roots/fifths stuff to give a sense of rhythm to the songs so my precision with flats works nicely. I didn't play this weekend, but next weekend we are having extended musical worship and are playing 10 songs. Here's a pic of the one to handle it all!
    IMG_2795.JPG

ed morgan and Tjazz5 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022