1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sunn 118V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rlb8987, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    Hi everybody,

Does anybody have any experience with a Sunn 118V cab? There's one for sale near me, asking $325, all original except for being re-coned 10 years ago by a Cerwin Vega certified technician using Cerwin Vega exact replacement parts.

I've been jonesing for an 18" cab for my Acoustic 150b head and this seems like it could fit the bill. Thoughts? Experiences?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Good grief! What on earth for? Mud city all day long.

Rattman likes this.
  3. 118vh is a golden horn variant.
    Acoustic head plus Sunn cab= ear candy

If your cab is front loaded 118 had more mid punch.

Go for it! And post us as to how great it sounds

mindwell, Johnny Crab and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. It's a 4 ohm cabinet, FYI.
    I have 2 and they sound great and are very sturdy.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    I'm hoping for that ear candy!
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.
    I've always been a fan of those big, booming sounds of the late 60s/70s.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The irony is that most of us in that era were desperately trying to get rid of that muddy tone. LOL

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. rlb8987

rlb8987

Nov 6, 2014
    Fair Haven, NY
    Hahaha yes it is a bit ironic. I've always kind of gone backward when it comes to music.

8. RonEW

RonEW

Apr 5, 2017
    If its the one I think it is, front mounted, rear loaded folded horn, CV speaker was original, they are great, not muddy to me(don't play lead), can take care of anything from background lounge trio to outdoor loud rock venue. Got mine probably early 80's, still have it. Very efficient, used mostly with Sunn Concert bass head which was sold a while back, now a Mesa D800. It is the only reasonable size cab I ever found that would handle any job. Its a keeper.

mindwell and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would probably lean towards the camp of @BassmanPaul
    I used to have a Coliseum bass with the matching 118 cabs (I still have one of the cabs in my basement since they are so awkwardly large, the buyer still hasn't picked up his second cab from last October). The stack was incredible to look at, but, honestly, any of my other cabs were more enjoyable to play with the head. The 18s definitely have a distinctly darker tone that you can't EQ out. In addition, they are really awkwardly large/heavy cabs with only a handle on the top.

That said, if you are looking for that tubby/muddy kind of tone, they'll deliver in that area. And they are cool to look at.

Edit: Pictures or it didn't happen

14516341_10202429244889158_7364940932486098334_n.

Rattman and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. RonEW

RonEW

Apr 5, 2017
    Pic above doesn't seem to be the same as mine, don't see the folded port all the way across the bottom and mine doesn't have the al coil covers. Either way, only thing is to try it.

mindwell likes this.
  11. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is this the cab you are talking about? I think this is a 118BH.

Sunn_Concert_Bass_w_118BH.JPG

zon6c-f, SirMjac28 and daveman50 like this.
  12. RonEW

RonEW

Apr 5, 2017
    Nope, mine is a front mounted 18 with a rear loaded folded horn port, the port is all the way across the bottom kind of like a shelf port only there are a couple more pieces of wood inside to taper the folded horn/port. Looks similar to the pair above but don't think is the same.

13. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Probably is the one in the prior pics. I think these are the only 2 18's that Sunn ever made.

14. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    That's the one I had. I remember it was a 118MH though.

P-oddz likes this.
  15. RonEW

RonEW

Apr 5, 2017
    Guess they made more than 2, mine is a 118-M. The port across the bottom is flared, more open at the front and tapered from the back, more taper from inside from the back and up, can't see well unless the grill and back is removed.

16. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    In looking these up, apparently there were a number of 1X18 configurations that only varied by a letter. I'm not absolutely sure on any of the history. I checked the model on the cab I have still and it's just labeled as a Coliseum Transducer. Maybe I'm wrong thinking it's the 118V(?)

IMG_5028.JPG IMG_5029.JPG

zon6c-f likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

I knew a guy in high school with that exact same amp rig. Is that you? :smug:

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Only as muddy as you played it.

I was pushing an Acoustic 150 head through an unpowered 301 folded horn for several years and nobody complained about mud. On the contrary, many people told me they could hear every single note very clearly for the first time. And it used the same CV as the cab here.

Far cry from the punchy percussive bark you get out of so many modern cabs these days.

jcerio and Roxbororob like this.
  19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

Back in the 70's I had an Acoustic single 18 cab, front loaded. It was inefficient and I blew the driver with about 100 watts. The cabinet was almost identical to the Sunn 118. Honestly, I didn't think that driver sounded good at all. I've played through a EV18B and JBL K-151 before and those 18's were spectacular.

20. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    If my memory can possibly be reliable after 44 years, I compared the 118 and the 215 cabs when I bought my Concert Bass rig and there was no contest, to my young ears, the 215 was the clear winner.

digmeout likes this.