1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 2000s Transformer help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nedrussin, Oct 29, 2010.

1. nedrussin

nedrussin

Dec 2, 2007
    So I recently bought a Sunn 2000s head and have been playing it on tour for the past week. I had no problems until two days ago when there was just no noise at all coming through. I tried another head with my cab, cables, etc and of course found out that the transformer had blown. I have been looking all over the internet looking to find some sort of replacement and came across this website:

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I looked into the schematics and can't find if the transformer they have for the 2000s will work at all. Has anyone dealt with this website, or this issue that could offer some insight into my problem?

Thanks a lot

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Triode Electronics in Chicago. THe Sunn 2000 uses the Heathkit, Dynaco, Dynakit 120 power and output transformers.

http://store.triodestore.com/index.html

If you dont see it, call'em. THey are very cool, knowledgeable people. And the prices aren't bad either.

3. Mercury Magnetics is a premier transformer winder. They are a pleasure to deal with.

4. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Which transformer blew?

The 2000S, as do the rest of the original Sunn amps used Dynaco transformers until about 1970 and then switched to Schumacher.
    I think the Schumacher PTs are a little hotter, but the specs were virtually identical for the entire lifespan of the amps, 1968-1972.
    The only notable change was when the amps switched to SS rectifiers from tube rectifiers, also starting around 1970.

The Mercury iron should be fine for either version, Triode carries 60 watt Dynaco clones used in the original 100 series Sunns, but not the big ones used in the 1000 series Sunns.
    Yet, that is...
    I heard from Triode on 9/28 that they were speaking with their manufacturer about having the Dynaco PC706 PT and A451 OT recreated and at that time were hoping to have them available before the end of this year.
    It will probably be worth the wait, Mercury is indeed good but they certainly are not a bargain.
    If you can find any old 1000 series Sunn; 1000S, 1200S, 1500S, 2000S, the iron is the same across the board.
    Also, you could have the old transformer rewound.

Good Luck!

5. are you 100% sure its a transformer issue? take it to a tech before you waste money

6. 100% agree. However if you have lost a transformer MM is worth every penny.

7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    And coming from Paul, such praise is quite meaningful. ;)