1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 215 vs 72' SVT 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThisIsCourierSix, Nov 24, 2018.

1. ThisIsCourierSix

ThisIsCourierSix

Apr 19, 2015
    Hi everyone, after a long wait I finally acquired my dream head (Mesa D180) for a great price! Now I just need a good cab to pair it with. The guy gave me an EV 115 with it and it's ok but I need something with more headroom. I came across an 810 from the 70s for 300$, it's beat but the speakers are all original. The other cab I'm looking at is an old sunn cab loaded with 2 JBL D140f's for 385$. I've heard good things about these speakers but I just don't know if 215s could handle as much distortion without blowing. I like my clean tones with a little distortion if that means anything. My question is, which cab do you think I should get? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I have a chance to play raw cabs before I buy

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Found this thread. Didn’t read it all but it might be of some help.

My Mesa d180...

OTOH... Have you, or will you be able to play through either cab before you buy?
    Obviously, that would be a good indicator.
    My only concern would be for the condition of the speakers in something that old.

3. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Sunn

zon6c-f likes this.
  4. ThisIsCourierSix

ThisIsCourierSix

Apr 19, 2015
    I was wondering this too. I know plenty of people use old cabs without issue, if none of the speakers rub and are free of crackles etc should there be any cause for concern? Is there a lifetime for speakers as long as you don't subject them to excessive heat / moisture etc?

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    D140 pair be pretty fun setup. Go Sunn

zon6c-f likes this.
  6. ThisIsCourierSix

ThisIsCourierSix

Apr 19, 2015
    I went and checked out the ampeg, it sounded pretty damned good but 3 of the speakers had voice coil rub and one of them had a tear. Honestly not bad sounding though even so. I passed on it for now, I'd like to check out the sunn cab when I get a chance.. does anyone know how much power those D140f's can handle?

7. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    The jbls aren't rated for much power but the folded horn cab and high sensitivity of the speakers make those cabs rock. I bought a 69 sunn 200s head and can, the jbls were toast. But I loaded the cab with 3015 kappalites, holy moly. Even with the 200s mere 60 watts, it will blow your head off.

8. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Sorry, so my vote is sunn all day. 8x10s are fine but I prefer high end 2x15s much more. My gigging rig is mesa boogie diesel 2x15 loaded with the same 3015s. 900w 4ohm. Sounds very close to some fearless/greenboy stuff when I have a/b them

zon6c-f likes this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    60w each IIRC.

10. ThisIsCourierSix

ThisIsCourierSix

Apr 19, 2015
    That's funny then, this guy claims to be putting 500w into it with his TC electronics SS head and that the cab can handle more... anyone know where I can get info on these speakers?