1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sunn 410 Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Nov 7, 2006.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I put a Sunn 410 cab on layaway last weekend. I thought it was a super price so I didn't want to lose it before I had a chance to get a few questions answered.

First, this model had the Sunn logo on the front. The grill was metal. The back had two 1/4" inputs and a coaxial input as well. There was no FMIC logo and there was no horn control knob. The only thing printed was 300W @ 8Ohms.

Tried this cab out with a P bass going into a Fender Bassman 250 head. Was able to crank gain and volume to 3o'clock and bass to 3o'clock with everything else set flat and this is where it would start farting a bit. Turned down the bass and everything was fine.

I liked the sound of the cab, but I haven't been able to find anything on a model fitting this description and I want to make sure it's actually a bass cab, not a guitar cab.

At some point I need to bring my bass/amp to the store to make a final assessment, but what else can I look for to identify if this is a bass 410 or a guitar 410 cab?

Thanks for your help. :)

2. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The cab I'm looking at doesn't have a horn attenuator knob on the back. Just 2 1/4" jacks and a coax input. That's why I was asking about the cab because I can only find info on Sunn cabs that have attenuator knobs on the back. I actually have to check out the cab again because I'm not sure if there's a tweeter on it.

The magpie.com link won't work for me so I can't comment on the information there.

Thanks for your reply.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I know what coax is, but what does the "coax input" that you're describing look like?

Is the cabinet ported?

There really wasn't anything of great value in the magpie link...

4. Grand

Grand

Feb 27, 2005
    Germany, Tübingen
    get a picture. I own a sunn 410 cab, but theres no coax input on it...

5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It's where you screw on the coax cable. The exposed copper wire goes into a hole in the middle of the input jack.

Here's a pic of the input:

ced_coax_mini-uhf-f.jpg

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's really weird... That kind of connection is generally reserved for radio antenna signals (IIRC).

A long, long time ago, there was a somewhat similar connector used for low power speakers referred to as an "amphenol" connector. It's a lot flatter than that one though.

How bad to you want this cabinet?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. Grand

Grand

Feb 27, 2005
    Germany, Tübingen
    basicly coax can be used for any signal. video, audio... I got no clue what this is for.

wait - it does not look like a broken horn controll knob!? :D

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That thought crossed my mind too.

9. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I was worried about that too. Only way to tell is to remove the jack plate and see what it's wired to on the inside. I need to get back to the store and look it over again. I still have 20-something days to decide whether I really want it or not. If I don't take it, the store will charge me $1.80 so it's not a huge loss if I decide not to buy it.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Can you take some pictures of this cabinet and post them?

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'll see what I can do. Not sure how Daddy's would feel if I break out my Canon DigiRebel and start snapping shots (don't want them to think they underpriced vintage equipment or anything) and I don't have a more discreet camera (no cell phone camera, etc).

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021