1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Super hot, super bassy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leavenone, Mar 18, 2013.

1. leavenone

leavenone

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Hey talkbass!
    Just bought my first fretless jazz and boy does she feel great. I bought her used, and she is very hot, and on a flat eq VERY bass heavy. There are highs, but it sounds like the low registers on my amp have been cranked considerably. To play at the same volume, I have to turn my deluxe jazz up almost twice as high to match the fretless' volume.
    I opened her up to check the wiring, make sure nothing was awry, and found this. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363668887.599297.
    Two of the pots seemed to be newer. hmmm. They appear to be the correct resistance (250kohm for the bridge pup and tone pot), but I am unsure of the cap (it appears to say ic 6032 or 5032). ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363668948.630896.
    Great masterminds of talkbass, what could be the problem and how can I fix it?

2. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    ...are the pickups stock? :p

3. leavenone

leavenone

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    As far as I can tell, yes. They look stock (which I know doesn't hold much weight, but I don't know of any other way to check)

4. Wagz

Wagz

May 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    A few things to check:
    Check the bridge volume pot, might be a weird value. Roll volume on the bridge all the way to zero, see what changes. If your volume using just the neck pickup is more in line with the jazz, you'll know the bridge pot has to go.
    Are the pickups closer to the strings on the fretless? That can make a much bigger difference to volume (and tone) than people realize.

5. leavenone

leavenone

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yesterday I lowered the pups pretty much as far as they would go, made a slight difference, a touch less bass heavy.
    I also just tried easing each pot to its zero. Honestly, not a lot happened. Almost like it is wired in series! The bridge solo'd did sound a bit thinner/snappier like a normal jazz.
    I might try some new pups in there an see what difference that makes.

As far as the wiring, everything looks kosher (see first post)?