Supplement 1 12" setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BobBolt1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hi Talk Bass community,
    I currently using a SWR 350 head with an Aguilar GS112 1x12 cabinet. I've been happy with the sound but just joined a new, louder band. While my current equipment works in smaller venues and quieter bands, I don't think it will cut it in larger rooms.

Our guitar player/leader is also looking for a physical sensation when low notes are played, which he's felt with some other bass players but not with my current setup.

So I'm looking for something to supplement my current setup, and I want pieces under 50 pounds each-- I'm done with lugging heavy equipment around.
    I was thinking about a 15" bass cab with its own amp. I would plug my bass into my current setup for the mid and treble tones, and then run a cable out of that into a new system to pump out the low end.
    Maybe a Mesa/Boogie Subway Bass Cabinet - 400-watt 1x15" 8 ohms with a Mesa/Boogie Subway D-800 Lightweight 800-watt Bass Head.
    Am I headed in the right direction?
    Can you recommend alternative setups to the Mesa/Boogie amp & cab?

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

I gigged the D800 with 115 regularly great combination, may be all you need, if you need more add a 112 or 115.

hopwheels and Ewo like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    You are definitely heading in the right direction by considering Mesa gear. :)

You won't need the SWR head, and as soon as finances allow, you'll probably want to swap out the Aguilar cab for a second Mesa cab. The Mesa 15+15 and 15+12 stacks both get rave reviews.

carsbybigd, Ewo and Coolhandjjl like this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Normally I would recommend getting a second cab just like your first cab. Your amp will make more power and the two speakers will couple effectively in the low end so they produce sound more efficiently. One possible fly in the ointment is the GS112's listed sensitivity is 95dB at 1W/1M, which is on the low side. If one cab almost cuts it, two should definitely get you over the top. But if one cab is not even close, you need to go in another direction. The Manual for the blackface SWR Bass 350 says the amp makes 240W at 8 ohms, 350 at 4 ohms, 450 at 2 ohms...not sure if this is the model you have, but any Mesa Subway head will make a lot more power than any SWR Bass 350 ever made.

The Mesa Subway 115 is about 4 lbs lighter than the GS112 and has a listed efficiency of 98.5dB at 1W/1M. There is no guarantee that the Subway 115 and the GS112 will work well together though.

Your said, "then run a cable out of that into a new system to pump out the low end." You basically describing a crude form of biamping or a 1.5 system where an extra subwoofer covers the same range as your woofer. In my experience, you can get decent results from biamping, but in general it's not worth the extra expense and hassle of carrying around the extra gear. Typically a well designed modern bass speaker will sound better than a bodged together biamp system, because some talented engineer has spent a great deal of time making sure all the components work well together. What you describe does not guarantee good results.

I suggest hunting down a second GS112 or trading up to a full Subway rig, or some other higher powered rig of your choice.

Regarding your guitar player's desire to feel the bass. IMHO this is misguided. If he wants to feel the bass have him sit on your cab or buy one of these to stand on EICH Amplification :

Shroeder does not list Bass Boards on their website, but I am told they can get them ;). EICH Amps | Schroeder Cabinets | Bass Cabinets | California

bwoodman likes this.
  5. dlessingmd

dlessingmd

Aug 19, 2014
    You don't mention budget. Bareface makes cabs that are low. light, and loud. But they are not cheap. One of their 12s or 15s at 8 ohm would compliment you current 12. Similar recommendation for the other "super 12s", Audio Kinesis, Hathor, Fearful/Greenboy.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Replacing the 95dB (1w/1m) cab with a single 98 dB (1/1) cab would pretty much make you as loud as two of the 95 dB cabs. Add a 2nd 98 dB cab (and an assumed +3 dB from the amp) and you are close to +10 dB of potential spl over your current rig. All of course in a perfect world. I agree, if that spec is accurate, your cab is playing a part in limiting your volume a little bit.

/\/\3phist0 and Wasnex like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Definitely get the Mesa 115.

Sell the Aguilar, get a 2nd Mesa.

Sell the SWR, get a more robust amp. Mesa D800 is of course preferred. Quilter Bass Block 800 is also a good, cheaper alternative.

Ewo likes this.
  8. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    And you could place the second 15 close to the guitarist. Bigger amps really have a lot more punch, probably what he is picking up on. A high quality 410 does the job too, if you can handle moving it. I move mine by myself but it won’t fit in a car, only an suv or van.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Oh boy a Mesa Boogie rig

Actually the cast frame driver in the old gs112 was nothing to sneeze at. And loud little booger

I'd get another used gs112 for 300 bucks and call it a day.

Be surprised how good doubling speaker area sounds.

Likewise buy something else with the money rather than the 3 grand on the rigs suggested

10. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Since the sensitivity is low and the swr can do 2ohms, maybe look into a 3x stack of aggie 12’s. I’ve seen this in the wild, and sounded really good. Still less than the Mesa gear if you like the sound of your current setup.

It’s possible this is the rig you’d want to compare to a full swap out of Mesa gear.

If you have the cash the Mesa gear is sweet.

11. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

If funds are any concern, you might want to just add one cab first, or test/borrow one if possible (take your gear to local shop). You might be surprised what the SWR can do at 4ohms, along with the added speaker surface area. This would definitely be the cheapest route, and going to a shop would allow you to try different speaker sizes. I really like a 210/112 matched brand stack because it brings amazing punch, articulation, and roundness. Some people do not like mixing speaker sizes, but my Berg Reference 210/112 stack is outstanding in every way. However, if you are a 115 fan than adding one might do the trick as well. This would be the cheaper route, but an all new Mesa rig would be great as well.

12. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I'm singing with the choir, here, from personal experience:

If you have the budget, the Mesa Subway gear is the shizz. Any combination of the Subway cabs will work great with the D-800/D-800+/WD-800.

I'd recommend a pair of the 1-15 cabs (or the new 2-15) for rock, where you want some whomp. The mids are quite nice on those, so I don't expect you'll find them lacking.

(I'm selling a Quilter BB800, if you're interested in that amp. Link in my sig, below.)

Wasnex likes this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    For the needs you describe, your SWR is just not able to do it regardless of what speakers and combinations of those you waste money chasing.

Best bet is a stack of matching driver cabs whether it’s a pair of 115s, 112s, 212s, etc. An 800 watt Class D head like those from Mesa will get you there and keep your guitarist from complaining.

Otherwise, get an SVT, the ‘Fridge, but be prepared to bust your balls hauling it around.

14. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

It's the rig he asked about. Also not 3k if bought used.

15. This. Adding a second GS112 or a DB112 will increase your volume quite a bit. Specs alone do not always tell the story.

With an SWR head an HPF may be in order as well. Cheaper than a new head.

But if you can afford a brand new Mesa amp, hey, it's the flavor of the month!

Wasnex likes this.
  16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Sell it all. Mesa D800 used here on TB and a Subway 115 cabinet.call it a day. The GS112 would get buried.

hennessybass likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I would NOT try to do the current set up into another amp and cab.

Adding a second GS112 might just do the trick. You would have to find one used of course.
    Or just finding a different cab solution all together. I know you say 50lbs, but sometimes an old school 410 with good swivel casters is pretty easy to get around even though it is heavier.

Adding a dolly to your rig could be a game changer. For me, sometimes it's less about weight and more about the number of physical pieces and how they fit together. Can I get all my cables in the same case as my amp? Then I have one thing instead of two. A heavy cab and your amp and gig bag on a dolly, with your bass in a gig bag on your back might actually be an easier load-in than two separate "light" cabs, an amp, a bag, and a bass. ...just saying there are options besides just weight.

Depends on your budget and what your load-ins are like.

Are there PA systems involved at your gigs? Lot's of time that "feel" can come from the subwoofer in the PA system.

Wasnex likes this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

That’s been the case for about 38 months now!

19. Start by getting another GS112. You'll be amazed at the difference what a 2nd 112 cab will do. That's a cost effective option.
    If you want to improve your sound get the D800 too and then maybe the Mesa cabs. I once owned the SWR 350 and now own the D800 and 4 GS112 cabs so I'm familiar with the gear.
    In my opinion the Mesa kills the SWR. I haven't used the Mesa cabs yet but I'm sure they rock as well.

20. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Having read thousands of posts on this subject I can tell you that conventional TB wisdom is that:

1. The most cost effective way to increase volume is to add a second cab.

2. You can't go wrong if the second cab is identical to the first. Mixing cabs that aren't identical CAN yield less than satisfactory results. If you're going to add a cab that is not identical do some research first.

JMarkD, vvvmmm and BassmusM6674 like this.