1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sure this has been asked before..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WokenDeer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. But after a search here and on google I haven't found anything to satisfy me. So the only bass I currently own is a rickenbacker 4003. I play in two bands quite often each. One is standard E. The other is standard c#/drop b. Usually it's dropped but a couple of times il bring it back up for practices and shows with the other band. Usually this doesn't present a problem and usually I keep it in a case. Well I tuned it up for practice yesterday and then kept it out on a stand overnight ( in southeast Louisiana if that helps) and today when I dropped it the 3rd fret was dead. I didn't have any tools on hand to raise the action so I just loosened the truss rod a bit and it helped it just feels too loose now. Any thing I should try? Like maybe slowly tightninf the rods up and raising the action? Or just wait it out and see what the weather does to it? And more importantly am I doing any damage? I do know that it's not staying on a stand over night anymore. The jam room is a room we built outside so it's not in an insulated house or anything. Thanks for any help and sorry if I didnt look hard enough for answers beforehand.

2. Oh by the way. Usually use some stainless steel 110 rotosounds. If that info is needed.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Drop tuning is a pain ...

Asking your Rick to be set up right for EADG and for C# is too much.

Also take into account humidity. Wood expands when it get humid. Wood contracts when it is dry. New Orleans is usually humid.

You should do 2 things.

1 - learn how to setup your basses and adjust the rods.

2 - use 2 basses ... one for each tuning.

I used to have basses with 3 different tunings ... finally I just got a 5 string bass and now that bass can do it all without any detuning.