Surface scratch removal?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 13, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Just picked up a black Fender '62 Reissue P-bass that has some minor surface scratches. With any other color, this wouldn't bother me, but on this finish the scratches really stick out. Is there some kind of polishing compound that would remove most of these scratches? Thanks!
  2. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I would just put a coat of non abrasive wax and leave it alone. With black, its easy to make things look worse.
    Think of it as "mojo". :cool:
  3. Smash used a "nanowax" kind of car wax that apparently worked very well. Try sending him a PM or search the forums for it.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Fender seems to put the thinnest paintjobs on their basses and guitars of all guitars. I think it might be best to just accept that the thing is gonna look scratched and old before it's time. I had a black P bass deluxe and it had those spider weblike lines and scratches all over it after about 2 years. Ever notice how lots of fender guitars look all old, vintage, worn out and like they've been to hell and back, but that's not the case with other instruments?
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Just ordered a bottle of the nanowax that Smash posted about. Hopefully I can get this bass looking like my new black Stingray! Thanks again! :bassist:
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Meguiars or Blue Corral Paste Wax is my favorite. You gotta give it two coats and it'll be sparkly!
  8. I've used this stuff for a long time, mostly on nitro lacquer, and it works great. That doesn't mean it will work great on any other particular finish, but it has always worked for me. It comes in grades that are not numbered sequentially, but they put a little thermometer type gizmo on the label to indicate anything you can't figure out from the names. Fine Cut Cleaner takes out most player wear. You follow with Swirl Remover or Plastic Polish, then your favorite polish. If the scratches are heavier you may start with Medium- or even Heavy-Cut Cleaner. This stuff works fine, its cheap, and you can get it anywhere. Just remember to check that little patch on the back, just to be sure.