Surprise! Another Ric with a pickup issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Spoobs, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    So like a lot of Ric players, I took the cover off. Realizing I didn't like the giant hole I decided to put the cover back on while waiting for a treble bezel. Since putting it back on there is an extremely loud buzz coming from just the back pickup. However, if I touch the pickup cover or mounting plate it buzzes even louder but the pickup has output unlike if I didn't touch it.

Things ruled out:
    Checked all wiring including grounding under the bridge
    Cable
    Amp
    The grounding wire is placed between mounting pate and spring
    Neck pickup is working fine
    Did the jack test

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Did you check the tiny white wire that comes from the under side of the pickup? Where it’s soldered to the braided wire going to the control cavity is a real weak spot. The connection would be under some rubbery shrink wrap.

alesreaper9 and Spoobs like this.
  3. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    I have not looked here yet. I will check tonight. Thank you.

4. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    It wasn't that. All the connections under the pickup look strong.

5. What happens when you touch the treble pickup surround and the bridge at the same time with fingers from the same hand?

6. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    I was just coming back to say that. It fixes it, so it must be grounding, right?

7. Yup. You may have to peel that wrapping I was talking about to make sure the white wire is still connected to the braid.

Spoobs likes this.
  8. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    This is my fault for not double checking but I meant to have 4003s and not a regular 4003. It just has the ground wire under the pickup and no braided wire. I live in an extremely small town and a music store just opened up so I will stop by to see what they know about Rics, but if you have more knowledge on the 4003S or what I should do it will be appreciated.

9. I have a 4003S as well. The very small white wire coming out of the bottom of the pickup should be soldered to the braided wire that is within the grey jacket. They are soldered together under the black rubbery shrink I mentioned above. This is your ground for the pickup. It leads to the control cavity and from there is soldered to the pots and picks up the bridge ground.

Spoobs and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Spoobs

Spoobs

Apr 3, 2015
    Michigan
    Thank you for being so helpful and patient with my incompetence. I've been having an off week. I peeled back that shrink wrap and the grounding wire practically popped right off the solder joint. Hopefully this is the end of my bass problems when I get that soldered back on. Once again, thank you so much.

HELLonWHEELS and Gluvhand like this.
  11. Anytime.

HELLonWHEELS likes this.
  12. Glad you got it figured out. Don’t forget to put the new shrink tubing on before you solder.:smug:

Spoobs likes this.
  13. So, how did this end for you?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021