1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-3Pro amp and 410HLF cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbrady, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    SVT-3Pro amp and 410HLF cabinet... now I've looked already at all the reviews and articles on them and they are generally 9-10/10. But most of that means 20% to me as does hearing it.

I can plug in my bass to it friday, but I wonder if it is a good deal for 700USD. I've looked around and on the bay there was a head that went for 550, a cab sold relatively quickly for 350... A lot of buy it nows for significantly higher, but I doubt they'd sell.

I'm also considering saving for an axe fx to do my sounds and just get a 1x15 combo (GK or similar). The thing is I am not a pro and I never gig. I just use it for my own entertainment. I don't need to be super loud, but I do love a good tone and I know it when I hear it.

tl;dr - I found an SVT-3Pro amp and 410HLF cab for 700. Is that a good price for used/great condition?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yes, IMO - as long as it's an SVT-410HLF cab...

- georgestrings

3. MrBassmicks

MrBassmicks

Aug 24, 2010
    I have an SVT-3 pro that I bought used for $700 and a SVT 410HE that I bought for about $650 new. So id say $700 for a more expensive cab and the same head is a great deal. But if your willing to pass up on the deal and get a combo amp that will still sound nice and save you a couple hundered dollars, then you may want to consider that route. That half stack is way overkill if your just using it at home. But if you think you may be in a band in the future you may want to go ahead and invest in the right gear now.
    If it were me id go for a combo just to save the money and space. But I was in a band a couple years ago and I already invested the money so I'm keeping my setup.

As far as sound goes definitely try out a few brands to see what you like. I just like Ampeg.

4. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    Since it'd be awhile before I could afford an Axe, I figured I would like to have it while I wait. It wouldn't be a loss of money, I don't think, and as long as I broke even when I decided to upgrade it'd be worth to have.

BTW, if I kept the setup, how would it sound with a Axe FX controlling it (through the effects return) with a guitar? Bass I'm sure would sound fine. But for guitar, I figured it'd just be a solid state power amp going to 4 10" speakers... I don't think it wouldn't work. And with Fender bassmans being used as guitar amps it shouldn't hurt it, right?

edit: thanks for your responses. It helps when I'm mulling stuff over constantly at work where my brain has nothing more to do with itself than think about what my ideal project studio looks like.

5. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    When you try it out, just remeber on the 3 pro to ignore the red idiot light. Crank the gain up so it flickers with every note (noons a good starting point) and adjust the master as needed. Also crank up the tube gain if you need a bit more juice.

6. jbrady

jbrady

Sep 23, 2009
    thanks for the advice! i didn't even think to look that kind of information up.