1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT 4 PRO-only biamp mode works...anybody know why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soupninja, Sep 18, 2010.

1. soupninja

soupninja

Jan 3, 2010
    I did a search nobody seems to have the same problem

So this happened at the recording studio, I had it out of biamped mode(stereo) and into just the top 4x10 on my swr 8x10. The very next day the same setup would not work. Only the biamped mode would produce any sound ,and it sound a little overly distorted..not crazy distortion but somthing you notice not being there before.

Any thought before I take it to GC on my extended warrenty?

2. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    What speaker cable you using? and you said you had it out of stereo mode what did you mean by that??

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just check all cables, connections, and switches.

4. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Sounds like you might have lost one of power amps. Something similar happend to me. It would work in bridged mono mode but didn't sound great and didn't have much volume. Took it in and one side (one amp) was not working. Try plugging into the other side and see if it works.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    OK to get biamped mode, you patch the biamp outputs to the power amps with short patch cables.......

Consequently, when you DO NOT want that, you have to un-patch them. Otherwise you still get just the biamp mode.

If you try to do bridge mono with it patched for biamp, you will get some strange stuff going on, and probably distortion.

Are you sure you have it set up for what you want? Everything plugged where it should be?

6. soupninja

soupninja

Jan 3, 2010
    yeah Im positive its all hooked up correctly, When i have it in biamped mode I use the speakon it came with. When its not in biamped mode, the push button is out and I have just two regular speaker cables going into seperate cabs.

Also NEither side will work when its out of biamped mode tried alot of different speaker cables, none worked

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you have it hooked up wrong. that speakon connector is for bridge mono mode, not bi-amp mode.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Are we REALLY discussing "biamp" mode, with a "lows only" cab and a "highs only "cab? Two patch cords on the back, and using the crossover frequency and balance controls?

If I had to guess, putting together everything you mentioned, I'd say you were really talking about "bridged mono" mode....... NOT "biamp" mode

9. soupninja

soupninja

Jan 3, 2010
    yeah sorry got the words mixed up I ment using bridged mode i use the speakon cable.
    Let me redo everything

It works in bridged mode with the speakon cable that I got with the amp, sounds a little more distorted than usual.

It will not work in the other mode, no sound whatsoever, im not crossing over anything, just trying to run to two seperate cabs..does not work.

I may just take it to GC with the warranty, it looks as though Im having problems conveying what I mean.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A picture is worth a thousand words. If it has a warranty take it back and have the store check the unit out.

Paul

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021