Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT 4 Pro problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deadphish, Nov 11, 2004.

1. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    My SVT 4 pro seems to have some problems. It does not get very loud through my old fender 2x15 and the clip light comes on a lot during normal playing and slapping. I have tried a number of things such as pushing in the pad button, turning down my bass volume. But the amp usually just shuts down after about 10-20 minutes of use. It was repaired by Ampeh here in St Louis once before.

I have seen similar analysis of this amp here and elsewhere and am just wondering: Is this model just a lemon?

2. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    BTW, I am using the speakon bridged mono out and have the stero/mono button set to mono. TIA for any help:)

3. I had the same problem with my SVT PRO 4 .

Can that 2x15 cab handle the 1000 + watts of power comming from that head ,bridged mono ?

I run a single 4x10 HLF @ 4 ohms through channel A ..(plenty of power).

I can't wait to get my hands on a 8x10 cab , I will run that sucker mono/ bridged ,and knock some walls down for sure.
    :bag: :bag:

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    What impedance is the cabinet?

What sort of music do you play? (on a scale from "industrial thrash-punk" to "jazz")

It ought to get plenty loud, and as for the shutting off, is the fan running?

For some styles, the limiter can have a bad effect on volume that isn't appropriate....but you can turn that off from the front panel.

Turning it off will allow more clipping, so if you dime it AND turn off the limiter, you will increase power out, but it might not sound too good.......and I bet it will shut off faster that way.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do you have the correctly wired Speakon cable to run the amp mono-bridged?? I forget how they are supposed to be wired, but they are different than normal Speakons for running the amp mono bridged. Might seem like a dumb question, but from what I remember, someone else had the same problem you did, and that was the solution. I believe that the amp will not put out full power if the cable is wrong.

FWIW, I am running mine mono bridged into a SVT410 HLF cab, and I have all the volume I could ever need. And I haven't had a problem with the cabinet not being able to handle the power either. I have been running it that way for about 2 years now, ever since I sold my second HLF that I had (no need for that much volume onstage for me).

6. deadphish

deadphish

Oct 2, 2004
    I am using a 1/4 inch to speakon adapter in the bridged mono out. That line goes to a 1/4 inch input on the 2x15. I do not know the impedance of the Fender 2x15. It is very old and doesnt have a lot of writing or stamping on it. It did work just fine with an SVT classic for years though.

I guess I should goto my music store and ask for the correct cables? Does my cab have to have speakon ins? Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.