Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Jun 26, 2005.

1. hey guys,

im wondering about this head, but it would be used. so DO NOT comment about it being overpriced.

just lemme know what youi think about it, and if it would suffice against 2 marshall halfstacks ran at 8's and an insane drummer.

i play about 80%metal, the rest either being school jazz band, or solo stuff (vic woot, jaco, marcus, etc)

how do you think it would do? and how reliable is she?
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am happy with my SVT 4 pro, It is definetly a versitile head. I think the cabs that you pair it with will be the defining factor. What cabs are you using? I am using Schroeder cabs and they are much more efficient than the Ampeg BXt cabs that I used to use. I get more volume and clarity with my new setup. Cabs that can handle the SVT 4 bridged would also work ( 8x10) in that setting. Also, I have not had any problems with my SVT 4.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Reliability will vary with age... but overall, Ampeg does make reasonably reliable equipment.

A lot more of your volume will probably depend on your cab situation. Your gonna want a lotta cone surface. Maybe a pair of 410's or a 410 + 115... something like that. Or you could get something boutique with greater efficiency... speaking along the lines of Schroeder.

But as far as the 4Pro goes, its really nice if you can get your hands on it for cheap.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My only experience with the 4-Pro live is that it has that Ampeg tone (minus the tube power section), but it wasn't very versitle. However, this could be due to the fact that I didn't screw with it much or that it was going through an Ampeg 810...
  5. i have no cabs, and this will be my first step into rig/halfstack world.

however, the avatar dealer in canada, is in my city, and wouldnt take 15 minutes to drive over tehre, so im probably gnna get them. most likely the b212neo (released july 1st) and then a 410neo later on.

or if i can pick up a schroeder used, on here cause theres none off ebay.

just for comparison, how is the swr 750x?

also, ive read on here that with the svt4pro you need a special kind of speakon cable to maximize the power of this head? true or false? if so where do i get one of these.
  6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Ampeg is not as high fi compared to the SWR 750. The Ampeg will be a little warmer and not as defined. Another thing to consider is the power. The ampeg is 490x2 @ 4 ohms stereo. When I used to use the SVT with two 4x10 cabs, WOW. This setup was brutal, only problem was, the rig weighed 300 lbs. Two 4x10 cabs would be a good setup for this head.
  7. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    For the svt 4 you need a speakon cable that is wired specifically for the bridge mono mode. YOu can take any standard speakon cable and re wire it yourself. On the website ( or the back of the amp) there is a diagram that shows you how to wire the cable. Suprisingly most people and SVT 4 owners for that matter dont know this. They make the mistake of using a regular speakon cable
    instead of the modified cable when they run their amp in mono. Then they comment on how disapointed they are with the amps power :rolleyes: . When you use a regular cable in the mono mode you only get the power of one side of the amp instead of the two combined.
  8. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So not to change the thread - but I happen to have an Ampeg B2R into an SVT-410-HLF cab. I didn't really know if all this Speakon stuff was for real. I've just been using a regular speaker cable. Not to sound totally ignorant, but if I bought a speakon cable (I assume you can get them at your local GC) what should I expect?

Thanks - Skel
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    With the B2R I don't think its an issue, that's not a stereo head. The SVT4 is stereo, it has 2 600 watt 2ohm power amps. If you use the correct cable you can bridge them amps together creating a single 1200 watt 4ohm amp.

I think the SVT4 is a good amp when it's used through the right cabs.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

I have a B2R, but mine doesnt even have a Speakon jack. It just had a hole where you can have one installed... so frankly I'm surprised that you mention that.

If it does have a speakon jack, its probably not worth the money to screw around with it. Although, it might not be a terrible investment if you planned on using the cable down the line.
  11. **** the svt.

ive heard tooo many horrors and theres too much messn around.

i think ill go somewhere else for my amplification.
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Horrors with the SVT-4 Pro? I haven't heard any horror stories with Ampeg heads except the SVT-3 Pro. Dunno what you have heard...
  13. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Whatever horrors you heard about didn't come from the thread you started asking for advice. If you heard all these other "horrors" before you asked for advice why did you ask in the first place? Bottom line: The SVT 4 Pro head is a good one but, like anything else, you have to treat it right for it to work for you. A lot of the people who complain about the lack of power of the 4 Pro didn't bother to learn how set it up for mono/bridge and setting up a speakon cable for mono/bridge is easily within the capabilities of anyone on this forum.
  14. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    90% of amp horror stories usually are a result of 100% user error.... actual percentages may vary... :D
  15. how much would you offer for a 2 year old SVT4pro, in skb rack with power conditioner?
  16. The SVT 3 Pro not being loud enough is one ( nearly always because the user is cranking too many lows and or because the bridgeing speakon cable has not been rewired properly)

The only bad SVT stories ive heard are from the SVT 2 Pro, when it first came out had a faulty/dodgy protection circuit

Never heard any problems with the SVT 4 Pro either
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Maybe $650-$750 for that rack.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have owned an SVT4 Pro for a few years now, and it has never let me down. I have been using it mono bridged into an SVT410HLF cabinet for the past two years, before that I ran it into 2 of them (don't need that kind of volume, and got sick of lugging two cabs around). With mine, the mono bridge cable was included with the amp when I bought it new.

Great amp. Plenty of power, quite versatile(gets all the tones I need), extremely reliable.
  19. hehehe, thats the one im watching!

the guy said he'd sell it to me privately if it doesnt sell over the reserve (not sure what that is)

i think it would be a good snag dont cha?

hey ryan, where abouts do you live in ND? i go down there pretty often for basketball tournaments, maybe next time we could hook up at a store or something?