1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-CL Fart noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fmfisdead, Aug 18, 2007.

1. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey guys, just posting to mostly get your input on the SVT-CL and some of the EQs that you have it set for. I notice when I hit certain notes, mostly only on the E string or lowest one I get kind of a farty sound. I wouldn't say its prevalent and you'd never hear it over the mix in the band, but I hear it and maybe I'm being a bit picky but I don't like it.

Settings

Gain: 8 or 3 o'clock
    Bass: 7-8 or 3 o'clock
    Mids: 8 or 3 o'clock
    Frequency: 2 or around 400hz
    Treble: 6-7 or 1:30 - 2 o'clock

Bass: B-404sm. EMG 35DC (B), EMG 35P4 (N)
    Cab: SVT CL 8x10

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's just the sound of the SVT-CL. :p Get used to it. :ninja:

3. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    Yeah to be honest, I was mostly just wondering. I actually don't mind it, but I was kind of concernicus about it and thought I would ask you guys about it. I notice if I put the frequency to like 3 or 800hz it seems to help out. Other than that I'm really loving the sound.

4. What kind of cabinet are you using? Some cabs don't need that much bass dialed in.. you may want to back off your settings and get to a more flat setting and see what happens.

5. Cab?

6. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. SVT CL 8x10

7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Are you using an active bass and/or hot pickups? The Gain at 8 might be too much. I have a Fender Am Jazz Dlx V with 18v active and very hot Quarter Pounder pickups and I have to lower the gain on my SVP-CL otherwise I get the same noise you are getting. If I switch to my Stingray 5, that's not as hot, and the Gain at 8 is fine.

Good luck.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    you could try setting bass 5-6, mids 6 and treble 4-5...
    how is the EQ and balance on your bass set (I have got almost the same one..)

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The classic cabinet doesn't have a lot of low end. When cranking the LF up, you are trying to compensate for that by blasting the cab with LF. That uses up a lot of power on the LF and can end up with you clipping early and yet not having much if any more total volume.

Then if you have an active bass, and crank up the gain, you are hitting the preamp with lots more signal, trying to compensate for the power lost to blasting the cab with mostly inaudible LF that won't come out of that cabinet.

The fart sound is probably clipping of the low end. it isn't a 'characteristic sound" of any amp, but more a characteristic sound of trying to get LF that isn't going to show up.

I notice that you have ALL the EQ up. All at 2 or 3 o'clock. AND the gain up. Sounds like you are trying everything in an effort to get more volume out and keep the lows.

Frankly, you may simply NOT be an SVT customer.....not everyone is. You may be lots more satisfied with an SS amp in the 1200 watt or larger range.

Try a preamp and separate large power amp........ but NOT with the classic 8-10. If you want an 8-10 get one with a higher power rating, since the speakers in the classic 810 will hit the magnets and make a sound like a pistol shot with 1200+watts.

If you don't think you would like a bigger SS amp, try reducing the LF some. Maybe try letting the EQ be flat, and then working from there. To get the volume from the SVT, you will get some "thickening" of the sound due to power amp clipping at the mids and highs. But if you let it clip at lows, you probably won't like it.

The SVT is "pre-mixed" to 'sit in the mix" between the kick and the guitars..... "just below a Marshall amp".

Most troubles seem to come from people trying to move it out of that "mix slot" and get it lower into the kick range.

10. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i agree with jerrold, though an expert i ain't. you're boosting everything and i don't think you need to do that. roll off the bass and i think you'll find yourself enjoying the sound the cl/810 were designed for.

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Your gain is too high.....For a clean sound your gain shouldn't be past 12:00 noon

12. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It hasn't been mentioned how loud your master volume is.

13. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Besides what our Ampeg expert has said, you're also using a very scooped sounding bass with hot pickups. There's a lot of input coming from your bass in the lows and highs, but not the mids. It sounds like you're trying to "push" a sound out by cranking everything.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

14. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I disagree with the bass being scooped. It depends on how he sets his balance and his onboard EQ... that's why I asked this...

15. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    I only really turn my master volume up to like 3-4 or a little bit past 9 o clock.

The thing with the gain is that I really like the dirty gainy sound it gets. And I've tried backing off of it actually, which I'm not too sure if I remember it solved the "farting."

I have active EMG pickups which I would imagine are pretty high output but they are going in the -15Db input.

I feel like I fell in love with this head and cabinet so I don't think I'm ready to give up on it yet. Plus I've put a lot of money into it so far. I love the sound its giving me, and the fart noise is almost barely mentionable. Most people don't even hear it when I show it to them but its something that I hear. But not with my band.

I guess I had no idea but I thought the 810 cab probably had some of the best low end out there because I saw a lot of bands using it and it was like pummeling my chest. The low end I'm getting now is actually pretty good and I like how it feels when I stand in front of it.

I guess the next thing for me to try is to turn a bunch of the eqs flatter. If I do that should I also turn down the gain or keep it where its at because I like the dirty sound it has. Thanks for any and all help so far guys.

16. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    The eqs I have on the bass itself is bass all the way up, mids at halfway, and treble all the way up. Both pickups on. It seems like my knobs don't really lock into place well and if i'm jumping around a lot (which I do) they start to move around unless its all the way or at the halfway point which the bass has a lock there.

I have heard the bass is scooped before and I've tried out my old LTD that has passives and I gotta say I didn't hate the sound it put out at all. It was more in the midrange though but it was a pleasing sound to me.

The sound that I want is basically a low end thats going to knock you off of our feet, but a round tone thats going to cut through the mix because I'm almost like a lead bass player in my band. I like it to have a sort of dirtier sound as well with a nice brilliant sound with the treble.

17. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Don't count out that this may be the cab. Some of the Ampeg 8x10's have a problem with the soldering on the board which results in a really terrible farting sound. My singer (who is an ex-bass player) has an Ampeg head/cab sitting in his garage that I play through when we practice. Being that it's just practice I'm not concerned about EQ -- everything is set in the 11am-2pm range with gain and master in about the 12 o'clock position. I rarely, if ever, see the clip light but that cab farts something terrible on certain frequencies (especially when I play an 'A'). I play passive basses.

He's re-soldered a couple of the connections, which helped. But he needs to get to the rest of them. He's commented that he's heard that the real fix is to get rid of the board in the back of that cabinet and just wire the speakers up "correctly". I don't know if that is true or false but it's just food for thought.

Jeff

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I just tried your bass settings on mine and that is a scooped sound you have there... I just use the neck pup with a little bass and mid boost... that's more my sound.

19. fmfisdead

fmfisdead

Jun 11, 2007
    See, I think the whole scooped thing might actually be a problem I have. I'm trying to cut through the band so I increase my settings but always seems to never cut it.

You think I might want to try a different bass or possibly switch to different pickups?

20. Quit raising your gain. You have a VERY scooped sound that you're going to have to change if you want to cut through. My advice: cut your bass EQ knob back to near 12-1 o'clock, same for your highs, turn off ALL the "ultra" switches and leave your midrange as-is. If you need more volume, turn up your master volume, not your gain.