SVT-VR: Second Attempt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Okay, The first one got shutdown so let's keep it mild in this thread and pick up where we left off before everyone started arguing with marthasvinyard.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  3. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    BTW - I took a peek at the last thread - some poor sole was accused of being me.

It wasn't fair to this person.

Rule #1 in the Forum Rules is "respect".

Some people seem to antagonize me, and I need to try harder to adhere to Rule #1. But it wasn't fair to punish another member for my behavior.
  4. Why did you even bother coming back? im assuming a mod closed it because they saw both you and the other user using the same IP address, aswell as the obvious

However . . . i still cant wait for this amp, pity i wont be able to afford it!
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Last week I found out my local Ampeg dealer has one on order. When it finally comes in I'm going to try it side-by-side with one of his SVT-CL's.:hyper:
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Any idea on what this thing is going to go for?
  7. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Probably around $1700-1900 Street.

My local Ampeg dealer has a couple on order too. They should be in soon!!! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
  8. i cant wait for some people to start owning these so we can have some good feedback!!!

I may well be very easily convinced.
  9. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    seamonkey, it was me who thought you were somebody with a similar name. Sorry. It was a heated thread so I didn't notice the difference in your names. It won't happen again - now I know there is a seamonkey, and some other "monkey'ish" name who is from the Denver area, and even though I'm from Boulder, I don't think he and I will be having coffee together anytime soon.

The SVT-VR - The more I think about this, I bet this is going to be like Marhsall guitar amps. They would come out with something like the DSL100 or DSL50, and people would scoff, and say it didn't sound like a "real" Marshall plexi. Although it had more features, dual channels, reberb, etc., if you spent 1 minute with it, you could nail the plexi tone, IMHO. It's all tube just like a plexi (although there *may* be transistors used for the effects loop, etc). Then Marshall reissued the Plexi for people who are never happy. Although it uses a PCB instead of PTP wiring, I've read by people who know about this stuff, that reported it is indeed a very good replica of the original. I've had 3, and A/B'd them with very old Marshalls (not plexis though), and they sound identical. And you couldn't *not* get the tone of an old plexi. For those of you who don't know, "plexis" were made from about 1966 to 1969, and you know that gold control panel with the inputs and tone knobs, and then the back panel with the speaker outs, A/C power, and impedance selector? those panels were made of plexiglass for these 3 years, thus the name "plexi".
    I have a feeling the SVT-VR might be similar, where a veteran player who knows how to dial it in, could get a tone very close to a vintage, if not exact, using a Classic. And *anybody* will be able to get the tone of a vintage using the
    SVT-VR. It will only sound like a vintage SVT.

I don't know if there were common mods done to SVT's back in the day, but if you could take a look at all the old non-master volume Marshalls, you would find that 75 percent of them (at least) had a master volume installed by their tech, and probably 50 percent of them had an effects loop installed by their tech. Then everybody bitched that they wanted the original plexi reissued with no master volume, no effects loop, etc. I am now seeing on eBay that abou half of the plexi reissues have been modified with a master volume, effects loop, or some kind of super gain circuitry. So, if there were any common mods made to the original SVT, they will start occurring on the SVT-VR as well.

I just bought an SVT-II non-pro (don't have it yet). The guy I bought it from indicated this was his backup unit - his main head is a Classic. He also uses an Ashdown RPM and 1200 watt Crown power amp. He told me he likes the Classic with the master and gain controls because "you can get the cool tones at lower volumes" He told me the Classic and the SVT-II non-pro sounded identical to him, and that the non-pro sounded good but at higher volumes is where it really shined. And FWIW, he uses an SVT 8X10 - he likes the "control" these have as opposed to a ported cab.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I can see that scenario playing out to a degree.... We'll just have to see.

And as far as inherent tone vs player input, years ago I worked for an amp company, and we had some very good players as outside testers...

Two of these guys, with completely different musical styles, were monster players, and could make anything sound good. They did it automatically and I don't think they really realized what they were doing.

Neither did we, until we had a new model proto that everyone was down on.... couldn't quite get what they wanted. Then one of these guys played it and it sounded really good.

That was a stumper, and we started asking more questions.... it came down to the fact that he had almost instantly zeroed in on a couple things it did really well....

With some folks complaining about The SVT being a "one trick pony" etc, etc, it will be interesting to see what response the VR gets when it is out and people are able to lay out cash and carry one away.

Just so you all know that your credibility is on the line, now that what you asked for is going to be available..... :D