1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swapping Bass neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    I have a Jackson David Ellefson 4 string and a JS3 4 string and want to swap the necks.

What is involved in doing so? Is it a simple matter of turing the screws and doing a set up?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

No, it's not that simple.

First you need to ensure they are the same scale, same number of frets, same dimensions on the heel, screws all line up and so on. Then of course there's the trip to the store for the beer....

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Well they are the same model of bass made on the same tooling. Just one is a David Ellefson signature Concert bass and the other one is designated a JS3 Concert Bass

Only difference is the pickups, the signature and the fact that the Ellefson has a black head stock while the JS3 has a silver headstock on the quicksilver painted Version.

What I want is the Silver head stock on my Ellefson like the Custom shop version. I don't know why they gave the Ellefson signature bass a black painted head stock with the quicksilver body unless it was just to annoy people like me who are picky about the details.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It should be a clean swap sounds like.
    As for the color, it's a signatures bass so likely David Elliffson wanted it that color.

5. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    why?

6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    The following three photos should explain.

First the REAL Jackson Custom Shop Ellefson Bass,

[​IMG]

Now the imported version of the Ellfefson Bass,

[​IMG]

And then the Regular Bass they designated the JS3

[​IMG]

You note that the JS3 actually looks closer to the Custom shop bass then does the actual David Ellefson Signature bass imported version.

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    It's the head Stock. What was jackson thinking? If I swap the neck I get a imported bass that is closer to the custom shop bass then what I originally started out with.

I could swap just the neck or just pickups and the truss rod cover. What job would cost less to have it done by a pro?

8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Lots more info posted. No comments?

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Not if you are counting frets. Which brings some doubt about the possibility of swapping necks.

10. SNPERCHERY

SNPERCHERY

Oct 19, 2013
    thanks for all the reply manage to repair it by DIY method. my problem now is its the clamp i used managed to leave a scar in the neck. Any advice to repair the scar?

11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Well aint that a Son of a gun! I bought a bass just to swap the neck but it may still work. If not my other option is simply swapping the pickups and truss rod covers.