Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switchblade Kittens FX?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AlexStayFrosty, Jul 18, 2005.

1. AlexStayFrosty

AlexStayFrosty

Jul 17, 2005
    As embarassing as this is, I actually kind of like the music by this California girly pop-punk band called 'The Switchblade Kittens'.. (Site - My Space Yeah, there goes my reputation as a serious, mature bass player that I was going to build up... But, well, what interests me more than their music is their effects set up. On their site, they say they're all bass players, and that one of their players uses effects to make his bass sound like a power-chord guitar, while another girl makes hers sound like a viola in some sections..

I was wondering how one might replicate these effects most effectively, or if anyone might have any other ideas on how to differentiate bass sounds like that ('cause you guys are obviously pros, I mean, I'm sure you could make a bass sound like an alto sax if you wanted...)

Would the boss super shifter work, like, to detune to the fifth, with maybe an octave in a feedback loop to give like a weird powerchordy effect?

Or...not... well, I don't know much about effects yet, but I hope it's okay to ask and subject you to stupid questions about pop punk... Thanks...

2. uh....try emailing them. i've once emailed a bassist about his distortion setting and he was happy to oblige.