Switching Up Styles - Rig Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 18, 2009.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've been thinking of piecing together a *different* sounding rig from my current.

My current rig (Mesa head/cab, Sansamp BDDI) is optimized for an aggressive/punchy B-tuned prog metal sound with a sliver of OD grind.

I am interested in putting something different sounding together- excelling at smooth, fat, clean. Suitable for jazz, R&B... different stuff than my current specialty.

These are the ideas I've been considering for heads (criteria is- "able to find for cheap on the used market, solid state, slightly high end"):

Eden WT 400
    Genz Benz GBE 400

Cabinets (open to ideas- "fairly compact/modular, non 4x10, nice B string projection"):

Eden 1x15 + 1x12
    Schroeder
    Suggestions Requested!

I really like the idea of a 1x15/1x12 stack.

2. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Budget?

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ

Use your EQ, you have plenty of tone at your fingertips with any mesa head and a sansamp to accomplish what you are talking about.

If you do anything, I would suggest getting a second cabinet - a 12/6 from LDS with a 3012LF and an alpha 6a would be pretty awesome for this type of scenario.

But your 2x12 should be just fine for this.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Imo, the only way you're gonna get a significantly different, warmer, smoother tone than what you have, is by switching to an all tube amp. Otherwise, as stated above, a little eq tweaking on your current rig is all you'd need.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    His current rig is a particularly warm sounding tube amp assuming he's got it updated ;)

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Take a look at G-K, in particular their 400rb, 700rb, and 700rb-II... I find them to be extremely "warm" sounding for a SS amp - almost tube-like, and with killer bottom end...

IMO, a 700rb-II for $350 or so on the used market is as good a bang for the buck as you're going to get... Genz's NeoPak 3.5 is also a good candidate...

- georgestrings

7. Scotty53

Scotty53

Aug 11, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    The nicest jazz/ R&B type sounding rigs to my ears at least Eden and GK rigs. I love the GK 1x12 combos for upright bass and the Eden traveler head through one of the Eden 4x10 cabs is a very nice warm sound.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Genz-Benz ShuttleMAX 12.0 head. A pair of 4-ohm Acme Low B-2s.

Schroeder? No. Schroeder would give you the exact opposite tone of what you want... :rollno:

MM

9. Ampeg fip-top
    Can't go wrong there
    Next!

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Unless one happens to be looking for a relatively modern, clear, hi-fi tone that is... :rollno:

MM

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Come on, dude...nobody wants that...

:bag:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021