SWR 12 Pack 2X12 projection,tone & B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rezdog, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the Great White North,

I've been scanning Talk Bass for a while and finally will be in a financial position to get some new gear in the spring. So expect a couple of research post. I am a 12" fan.
    Want to Know from any one that uses or have used an SWR 2X12 "12 Pack". In particular your opinions on tone,projection (is it just good for rehearsals or will it throw) and can it handle a B well. Comparisons to other 2X12's are welcome and no I won't have enough money for an Accugroove:)
  2. I've had a 12 pack for about two years and I've found it pretty good. Lot's of definition for 12s, very punchy but still deep sounding. The projection seems to be good, I've used it for relatively large clubs and I've been told I come across well even way in the back. At practice I stand about 6-10 feet away when possible to get the best sound to my ears.
    The only problem is that I just blew both drivers. The cones on both tore just at the edge. I'm still waiting to see if it's covered with the Fender buy out and all.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was also looking into 12" cabs and compiled a table of specs that can be found online. I have not tried these cabs, I have only compiled the specs.

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Wounded Paw, how did the damage happen to the speakers and before they were damaged how did the cab handle the low B?
    seanm,thanks for the link to the 12" spec table. That will come in handy.
  5. Oh yeah, meant to answer that too. I don't use a five string but we do tune standardly down a tone and sometimes drop the E string down another tone so I'm approaching a low B, plus I use 120 gauge E strings. Anywayz, seems to do a great job, more smooth and full than most 15" drivers I've used.
    As for the speaker damage I'm not terribly sure but I do drive my gear pretty hard. I use a vintage SVT, sometimes only with the 12 Pack which I shouldn't do since it's only a 8 ohm cab. I usually use it chained with a 8 ohm 410. I also use a Prescription Elect. Depth Charge on and off which adds a lot of very gnarly distortion. I have to power everything fairly high as we are a crust / grind type band with a heavy drummer and two relatively noisy guitar players running some rather large gear themselves.