swr california blonde?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony moore, Aug 15, 2004.

1. has anyone used one of these for doublebass and ebg?

i'm intrigued with having 2 seperate channels that can be used to eq doublebass and bass guitar differently.

my gigs are either small club type or pa reinforced gigs btw...

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

My main little amp is a Cali Blonde. I have not used it with URB, but know of folks who have with great results..but I do use it with my piezo equipped Godin acoustics/electrics. It sounds great. I do run a littel SWR 1x10 extension cab, which ups the output and thus the headroom. Very nice combo, light and good sounding. I usually run my A/E's into a Raven Labs MDB or PMBii and send that into the Blonde via the fx return jack, thus bypassing the amps preamp stage, but running straight in also sounds very fine.

I have at times used it with a powered extension cab in stero, and this really sounds amazing...

I opted for this amp mainly for the portatbility and really neutral coloration of the amp. Mostly I use amps onstage just as a personal monitor and rely on the PA for feeding the house, and this little baby works great (I opted to get a ATA Case on casters for it, so it makes hauling even easier!) Having a mic input on the 2nd channel is a plus for small solo gigs and clinics!

I am realy quite surprised that more bassist have not "discovered" how wonderful this amp works for basses; even though SWR marketed it as an "acoustic instrument amplifier" it is one heckuva bass amp, and IMHO sounds much better than the WM12 or 15.

3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Last time I saw Peter Washington, he was using one for stage monitoring, and they were mic'ing it for the house (Blue Room in KC).

Sounded pretty good as I remember. Not a lot of power in these though.

4. I play through them a lot and am ALWAYS pleased. They don't doctor the sound the really give you YOUR upright bass sound. They sound pretty good with electric to, though I don't play electric through the blonde tho. The only problem is that the blondes that I play through are never mine! I am trying to decide if I am gonna get the California Blonde or the Strawberry Blonde. Either way the Blondes are great!
  5. thanks for all the great replies! you all really helped seal the deal for me :)

6. ordered a blem from musician's friend for $679 today.

thanks for the feedback guys!