Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR clipping problem, help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skunkrawk, Mar 15, 2005.

1. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    The other night I had a performance with my school's show band (the band that plays for the show choire) and when I turned on my SWR Workingman's 12, a horrible static/clipping/distorted sound shot out of the speaker. It couldn't have happened at a worse time, with the audience quiet and waiting and all of the performers (in the choire) in their positions on the side of the stage. Luckily there was a keyboard amp that the guitar player and I use during rehearsals already on stage (we call it the guzzler) and I was able to quickly switch over. I later found that even with the gain all the way down on the SWR, the clip light would shine brightly at the slightest hint of a signal. I added as little volume as possible and i guess as a result of the extreme clipping it sounded a lot like a fuzz pedal. Does anyone know what the exact problem is or how I can quickly fix it? I searched the forums but couldn't come across any posts about SWR's with similar problems. Thanks! -Dave

2. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hmmmm...... If you didn't have any problems with the keyboard amp, that probably rules out any bass or cord related troubles. How high do you have the Master set on the SWR?

3. If the master is below 1/4 you can get that distorted sound.

4. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    I get the distorted sound regardless of volume setting, even with the gain turned completely down. On stage the master was probably around or less than half, which is how loud I normally had it set for that kind of performance. When I went back and tested it to see what the problem was, I turned the master almost completely off (I had to or my speaker would have killed itself) and the distorted sound could still be heard. I'm pretty sure it's the distinct sound of the preamp clipping. I just can't figure out why it would be clipping constantly regardless of signal stength and/or gain setting. I've used the bass and cable from that night several times since then, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the amp. Thanks, -Dave

5. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Set the select switch in the back to "Phones" only, and plug in some headphones. Very carefully place the headphones somewhat near your ears and see if the distorted sound is coming through. If it is, it's something within the "amp" section. If not, I have to imagine its speaker related.

6. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    I'm pretty positive it has to do with the amp section and not the speaker because as mentioned, the clipping light stays lit even when the gain is turned all the way down. I think the problem is with the preamp clipping, I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it and if there is a way to repair it.

7. I do not know if the Workingman 12 has a tube in the preamp like my SWR 350x but if so, it could need changing. If no tube, then I suggest you take it in for repair as it could be a bad power supply or blown amplification component.

8. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    No tube, it's all solid state.

9. robotbass

robotbass

Oct 14, 2007
    Northeast Ma
    Hi
    I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just bought a used 350X and the same thing is happening. Did you ever find out what it was and how to fix it?