1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Interstellar Overdrive / "Space Charger" schematic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ubercore, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ubercore

ubercore

Mar 10, 2009
    Providence, RI
    Hello!
    I've wanted an Interstellar Overdrive for years now. They seem to be quite difficult to come by. I've also developed a recent interest in electronics (ie, I like blinkenlights and servos). So I'm thinking of taking the complete irrational and ridiculous jump of building my own Interstellar OD. I found this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-95940.html

The schematic there is for a "Space Charger", and seems to be the copy of the Interstellar OD. Can anyone help me confirm this? Any general advice taking on larger projects like this?

Few answers to questions I expect:
    - I realize I will probably pay more in parts/time than just buying the thing
    - I realize I might kill myself with high voltages and flying tubes
    - I know I should probably start smaller (hey, I've built a headphone amp before! and it worked!)

I want to learn, which is the main reason I'm thinking of taking this on. So anyway, thanks for any info! Wish me luck!

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
  3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    The problem I see with trying to build a DIY IOD is sourcing the transformers. I believe Mercury Magnetics built them for SWR, but I can't help but suspect that the associated cost can't be good.

4. The first schematic is a simple two stage tube amplifier with one stage overdriving the next. The SWR schematic is a SS front end driving a tube output stage to about 10-15W. The SWR unit most if not all the OD comes via SS devices. Sourcing the transformers for this unit would be fairly simple using Hammond standard iron.

Paul