1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR LA 15

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by valloti, Jan 15, 2013.

1. valloti

valloti

Mar 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi guys, what about this compact combo?
    So far i have zero experience with SWR but they're spposed to be amazing bass amps. What do you think, might work for jazz DB and/or Latin EB? also planing to buy a 4x10 or 2x12 cab for gigs.
    Thanks a lot!

2. valloti

valloti

Mar 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    ok, just realized you can't plug an external cab, is that right?
    If so, anyway let me know your opinons!

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I had one for a couple years. It's not bad for a small combo but it developed an odd buzz / rattle that wasn't worth fixing. Unless you're getting a great deal on it I think there are better combo amps for the money - such as one by Gallien-Krueger.

4. valloti

valloti

Mar 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks a lot, i've been looking for the great opportunity but can't find it.
    I have in my mind something like the GK MB150 E, loud and portable for gigging, but just to expensive for my budget now, so the SWR is pretty small and kind of affordable, i'll keep looking on ebay.
    Any suggestion on light weight sounding amp (for DB) for small/mid budget?

5. The combination of cheap, double bass and portable might be a problem.

I would take a look at the Ibanez Promethan P3110 or P3115 or one of the new GKs (like the GK MB112) or try to find a used GK MB150S or E.

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I'd worry less about the amp and consider a preamp such FDeck's HPF. That and a decent combo should get you a great sound. I've had good luck with MarkBass products and the GK MB112 combo.

7. valloti

valloti

Mar 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm waiting to see how expensive goes this SWR, it has by the way a new speaker, it's an EV 15L, anyone knows this speaker?. Anyways, i'm also checking this GK MB210, i think it will be around 300 euros, that's actually very good also. Otherwise i'll just get the GK MB115 brand new!
    Thanks!

8. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I just used my SWR LA15 last night for 5 hrs and mine didnt overheat or malfunction in any way. Mine is a newer one so maybe the overheating problem got fixed. I felt the back and it was warm but not really hot. The room was about 80 degrees inside with just a ceiling fan on low. I played with a guitarist drummer and Key player and one singer and it was plenty loud. It sounded good!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021