1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX SJB 62 4+1 fretless STRING question... weird strings i tells ya...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LastVisblCanary, Mar 11, 2008.

1. LastVisblCanary

LastVisblCanary

Mar 11, 2008
    I just purchased an SX sjb 62 5 string fretless bass, and I also purchases with it a set of d'addario xl chromes flat wound strings (ecb81-5, .045-.132").

When i got the bass, I was pleasently suprised to see flat wound strings already on it, and was gonna keep them if one of my d'addario strings broke, but I ran into a bit of a problem when I tried to restring the bass.

The strings that are on it are very noticably thinner then the d'addario. I mean really noticable. to the point that I will have to modify the bridge's B string hole in order to make the d'addario .132's cloth bound area's fit throught it. Heres the difference, with the d'addario .132 on the far end with the SX's B string to the right of it, and next to those are he G strings with the d'addario's on the left again... The difference between the B strings is immediately noticable, where as the G strings are less so, but the d'addario's are definitely thicker. The SX's strings also appear to have been sanded on the string with a thinner winding strip, wich is apperent by the almost invisible winding spiral, where as the d'addario's are obviously flat wound by the noticable spirals.

unfortunately I don't have a micrometer to tell the actual thickness of the sx's :( I'd guess it's around .105-.110 becuase it's almost the same thickness as the E sting from d'addario wich is .100"
    IMG_3509zzzzzz.

Heres an image showing how the cloth binding at the ends is to thick, this is where it sticks on the bridge. i've desaturated the body reflection to help accentuate the actual string.
    IMG_3512zzzzz.

To get back on track and away from this being a Strings forum post, Has anyone else Put something similar to .045-.132 thickness strings on their sx sjb 62 4+1?

It's got a 43" vibrating string length, so I'd assume that it would be built to handle the normal gauge bass strings. But I want to make sure that putting such noticably thicker strings on it won't break the neck with tension.

At first I was worried that it was an extended treble scale set up, with a string above G, rather then an extended bass scale with the aditiona low B string. But that wouldn't make sense cause I couldn't find a single set of strings that would match that set up.

For that matter, I couldn't find anything that would seem to match the thickness of what came with this bass....

sorry for the long winded first post... this is my second bass (had to sell the first because I was moving) and I'm fairly excited. :bassist:

2. Sarbar

Sarbar

Jul 19, 2006
    With my 5 sting SX I also had to drill the B strings hole on the bridge a little bit to let the string fit. I think it is just a poorly designed bridge.

3. LastVisblCanary

LastVisblCanary

Mar 11, 2008
    thats good to know just that someone else is using the standard size B string on this. as long as your bass didn't snap or warp out of control, i'm gonna enlarge the hole on mine.

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have a 0.130 B string on mine (fretted), and yeah, I had to open the bridge up a little. It works fine.

5. I tired to file the B string hole on the bridge of my SJB-62 Fretless because I couldn't fit any other B string through it. I gave up filing after about 10 minutes and ended up drilling it. It's a crappy bridge.

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've had three of the fives and had to drill them all out.The bridge works fine but it is a bummer that you have to drill it out so you can use any kind of string.I haven't had any intonation problems or had any saddles slipping so it's not all bad.

7. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I put on a set of TI Jazz flats. It sounds much better than the stock strings. The B string is .136. I had to ream out the B and E string holes. I thought the stock strings were okay but kind of dead sounding (and I like dead flats). They sounded like cardboard if that makes any sense. The new string make it sound so much better, more mwah, really solid deep B string and great complex mids. It was hard to justify putting $80 stings on a $129 Bass, but wow does this thing sound good now.