Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX SJB-75C advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    hey guys im thinking off gettting this instead of the ibanez and with the extra money that i have im think of doing some mods... ill have maybe 100 left over do you think thatll be enough to do some mods?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, sure.... but you might be surprised how good the SX is in stock form.....

Buy it, play it, THEN decide......

3. Check out the Essex megathread down there. Has me convinced. I'm ordering at least one - and I'm buying from the UK.

I've spoken to a pro bassist who's been in the business for as long as I've been alive, and he uses SX basses to record (apparently they're amazingly suited to studio work) as well as live.

Can't offer you any solid advice on them though, as I don't own one yet.

4. man you change your mind more often then i change clothes

5. true story. try playing it first, then look at modding anything you may not like about it. i found that it really sounds quite good stock imo

6. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    alright how long does it take for shiping?

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    There are numerous posts about that in the Megathread. Search.

8. Took like 5 days via FedEX to ship it across the US to me.

9. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    The closer you are to NJ, the better. It took me 3 days and I live in Michigan. For Canada, it could be a wait...

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah maybe like 2 weeks damn

aff thats only if i dont get the ibanez

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    hey guys im wondering how an aguilar OBP-1 would fit in this bass..look...http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/support/downloads/diagrams/diagramobp1.htm

there 4(ithnk) knobs and on the jazz there are only three. i could re locate the jack but that woudl mean that i have to drill and i dont want to drill does nyone know how this woudl work out or if there are any other preams that i coudl use(besides J-Retro's?

12. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Anyone?

13. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    BUMP?

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can simply wire it so you hvae stacked Bass/treb, and have a seperate volume and volume, or volume and blend.

15. If you're scared about drilling a hole in your $100 bass, how are you going to handle all that wiring? Using the OBP-1 means you will be converting your bass to active electronics and therfore will mean you are going to need a place to put the preamp and the battery. That means more routing.

Ok, if you want to keep it 3 knobs, I would suggest going with a stacked Treb/Bass, Vol, Blend. If you want to go with 2 Vol's instead of Blend, that's fine, or if you want 2 Vol's and a blend, use a stacked Vol/Vol pot. It ain't gonna be easy, either way.

Have you looked at the J-Retro setup yet?

16. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah i have that would be great if i had 600 buks as my total.

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The J retro wouldn't fit his budget, and you can fit a battery with the OBP1 ;)

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    The only mod that I did to mine was to replace the pots (cts) and jack (switchcraft). The original jack would turn, even when tight, causing a wire to break. The cts pots made the bass much warmer and fuller. I think the pups are as good as any MIM Fender, so I'm in no hurry to replace them. When I do, Bart 9js will go in.

I may be selling my '76 PJ which I've played since new. The SX is my first grab. They are simply unbeatable with a little bit of work.

19. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    hey does anyone know any cheaper pre amps?? that i coudl use?

20. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    How about an Aguilar DB924? They show up on ebay priced fairly reasonably (I got one brand new for $90 shipped) and they're very easy to install.

Glenn D.