1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

syb-05

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, Apr 15, 2009.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    just got it today from davio (big thanks btw) and i don't see what everyone complains about with this pedal. everyone says the tracking is off but i'm playing 1/32 notes and it tracks great! the key is to not be sloppy and i'm not. so if anyone has anything to say or even recc. settings then i'm all ears!
    :bassist:

2. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    No, the tracking sucks. And probably you are not playing 32th notes. The device has problems in tracking 16th notes in medium (>90bpm) tempo, when the non-waveshaper sounds are used.

3. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    i'm playing 1/32 @ 100 bpm per my metronome and it tracks great! hmm....

4. If you've found some settings that suit you, then awesome! :D

Please post some clips of this, my experience of the SYB-5 has been that the sounds were great, but the tracking made it...difficult to use.

We demand clips! :p

5. Yes, clips of these well-tracked 1/32 notes are defnitely in order...:eyebrow:

6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    This is a public service announcement. 1/32 notes would mean setting a metronome to 100 and counting to 8 for every click.

7. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I have it. tracking is bad. especially (for whatever reason) on the higher notes. Anything above A on the D string has a tendency to crap out, and the higher the note, the greater the chance of this happening, in my experience.

It is, however, as I've said in another thread, a great unit for making trippy noises, especially when coupled with other pedals (in my case, it's tuner>SYB>fuzz>wah>overdrive, and I can get a lot of stuff out of it)

8. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    confession: i'll post the sound clips of the 1/32 notes but in reality: drunk + synth bass equal well... i'm playing it now and it tracks well but not that well. I'll post what i can sometime today whenever i wake up and have time!

9. Legend! :p

Drunk posting is the definition of win. :D

10. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    thanks dude but i'll seriously post some sound clips of whatever my fingers feel like doing whenever i find my damn cable...

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Sounds like dead spots and/or uneven pickups for it to be crapping out on higher notes.

12. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Not dead spots, as the failure rate is fairly consistent (it gets worse the higher you play). Also, notes ring out perfectly without the synth. Pickups are fine, and the SYB did the same thing on other pickups I've used.

13. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I had one and if anything the tracking was more consistent as you moved up the neck (c#-F on the G string excluded due to dead spots, same with issue with all my other octavers/synths). I assumed that the pick ups may be uneven since you're experiencing the issue on the D string as well, which would leave me to believe that the treble pickup (if a Pbass) might be low, or something along those lines.

Something wrong with your unit then I suppose. If you raise or lower the sensitivity, does this make any difference on the higher notes? What about above the 12th fret?

14. You people are crazy. The tracking is consistently terrible ALL the way up the neck!

15. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have an SYB-3, and while I won't make the claim that it'll track 1/32 notes cleanly... I have never really had a problem with the tracking to the point where it was unusable or "terrible."

As long as you have a good, clean technique and give the pedal plenty of input volume from your bass, it'll track fine.

16. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    +1 here.
    some really useful stuff here.
    really comes alive while using an expression pedal!

17. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It's hard for me to imagine a situation where you would need a synth patch while playing 32nd notes, and I'm not criticizing. I agree that tracking is not perfect. My tendency is to use the effect on more sustained notes, so it's not a problem for me.

I have an EHX Bass Micro Synth, and I have just acquired a SYB-5. I am actually excited about the difference in tones I hear out of the SYB, compared to the BMS. While the BMS does the "Land of the Lost" thing really well, I began to tire of the sharpness of the waves it creates. The tone is a little more intense than I sometimes want in a synth. The SYB sounds a little more like an 80s DX7 synth bass to my ears, which will make for an interesting change.

Also, the SYB does one thing much better than the BMS - it can pass your direct signal along with your effect signal. The BMS does have a slider for "guitar volume" (or something similar), but I have isolated that slider and the tone coming out of it is not a dry tone. Maybe there is an issue with my unit.

I am not getting rid of my BMS by any stretch. It's a player anyway, and looks a little "rugged". I doubt anyone would buy it. But I am putting the SYB on my pedalboard for a while. Oh, the SYB is also 1/3 the size of the BMS and uses a 9V patch...

18. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    You can also get the Chameleon synth sound pretty much perfectly with the SYBs.

Saw-wave mode
    Res at about 9-10o'clock
    Freq at about noon or a little less
    Decay at about 10o'clock

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The BSY-600 is way cheaper, sounds and tracks better than the Boss.
    So for once, I will recommend the Behringer copy over the original.

20. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Are you serious?

Sincere question. I'm amazed by your statement.
    At that price you can't go wrong.