Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sympathetic strings ringing

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tornadobass, Dec 19, 2004.

1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I was playing my American Standard with BassMax and Fishman Pro-EQ into WM-12 yesterday and got an unusual kind of feedback.

Usually, if there's feedback, it's a low frequency where the top starts resonating. This time, my G string would have a high frequency ring whenever I hit G on the D string...couldn't figure out how to chase that one away...certainly not the phasing switch.

We weren't playing all that loud...small amps for guitar and harp, no drums. Suggestions?

I've usually used an Underwood but wanted to give the BassMax a try...quite a different sound between the two designs.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The Bass Max is very sensitive to vibrations in the afterlengths of the strings. For amplified playing, try dampening the afterlengths with felt or whatever else you can get your hands on that you can tie/weave around them. This always solved any bass max feedback issues I ever ran into.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I havea piece of velcro that's served the purpose before...a bit like what came on my Bugbass...I'll give that a try. Thanks!

4. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
  5. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    ..I use a piece of foam insulation you put around window-type air conditioners. I just used it for a big band gig the other night where a little higher volume was needed and it worked great.