Synth Bass with Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AndyVanBass, Mar 3, 2019.

1. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    - Lots of gospel songs on my list. Fred Hammond (solo & with Commissioned) & Tommy Sims have done this a lot.

- A can’t copy/paste the list, so here’s artists/players: Fred Hammond, Commissioned, Cece Winans, Cedric/Victor Caldwell, Bruno Mars, Tommy Simms, Darwin Hobbs, Israel Houghton, Andrae Crouch, Andrew Gouché, Abe Laboriel, Koinonia, Sheila E, Prince

- I’m not counting when key bass reinforces & hides behind the bass guitar. I’m counting when the key bass is distinctly different than the slap bass sound.

— P.Y.T. by Michel Jackson is all synth bass w/ slap in the bridge.

— Prince: I expected to find more examples than I did.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome (track)
    Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's staccato synthy and has a slap section.
    Two Tribes may also be worth a listen. Same album.

AndyVanBass likes this.
  4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Do these count?

"Holy Ghost" - Bar-Kays:

"Fantastic Voyage" - Lakeside:

JimK, AndyVanBass and 5StringBlues like this.
  5. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    @RyanOh - Pleasuredome track for sure! I need to listen closer to Two Tribes

@FilterFunk - YES! I know both those tracks, but didn't think of them! I know there are more great disco-funk songs I'm missing.

FilterFunk likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A great deal of the Dazz Band’s hit were synth plus slap:

JimK and AndyVanBass like this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Here's one off my all-time favorite jazz record. To my knowledge, no streaming service offers this album as it was a sound track to a documentary. A modern (for its time) cover on the Moacir Santos tune, Nana.

Mohawk and AndyVanBass like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marcus Miller with David Sanborn and Luther Vandross featured lots of slap bass and synth tracks.

JimK, AndyVanBass and jerry like this.
  9. Yosbank

Yosbank

Feb 6, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

AndyVanBass likes this.
  10. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    @Dr. Cheese - Thanks! I knew there were some good '80s jazz/soul tracks I was missing!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I’m glad I helped!

AndyVanBass likes this.
  12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Pretty sure the Scritti Politti album Cupid & Psyche 85 has some tracks with both, though I can't off the top of my head remember which tracks. Marcus Miller supplied the slap bass on that album too.

AndyVanBass and JimK like this.
  13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

AndyVanBass likes this.
  14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

AndyVanBass and Bob_Ross like this.
  15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...especially around 4:30-ish

AndyVanBass likes this.
  16. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    Almost everything Level 42 did post-1984 is a mix of synth and slap - sort of a signature sound for them.

17. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, y'all! Added all these tracks to my playlist.

@JimK - great picks. I love Hewett, but haven't heard much Shalamar. I bet Chaka has more tracks, I'll have to listen. Take Your Time (Do It Right) by SOS also has slap w/ some synth bass over it.

@Bob_Ross - Don't Work That Hard is the only track I heard on that Scritti Politi album w/ bass. Sounds like Miller is doubling the synth line, nice approach.

@cxcxcx - Always heard of Mark King in Bass Player mag, but never listened. Great stuff!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    cxcxcx and JimK like this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
  19. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    Here’s some others, apologies if they’re reposts. These both feature Anthony Jackson on electric bass, backed up by synth. Due to the quality of Anthony’s parts, that’s sort of like putting frosting on a cake that already has a ton of frosting, but it works!

20. AndyVanBass

AndyVanBass

Jan 11, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    @cxcxcx - Thanks! I'm not hearing any slap or even fingerstyle on Borderline. I hear fingerstyle on Watcha (run at 3:11), lotsa guitar popping, but no slap bass. What am I missing? Are they literally doubling the synth verbatim? or is it Jackson's bass signal + synth FX?

EDIT: Wikipedia: "a catchy synth melody provided by Fred Zarr.[7] Bass player Anthony Jackson doubled Dean Gant's synth bass to provide a solid and more complex texture.[7]" Seems so odd to verbatim double the bassline just for added texture w/o any slaps/pops coming thru the mix. But it was '83 & probably not as easy to tweak a signal as it is now. Hmph...

@Wasnex - Good stuff, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021