1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synths

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pthump, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    I know I ask lots of questions, but here's another, I am just a curious person.

Listening to bands like motion city soundtrack (www.purevolume.com/motioncitysoundtrack) or bensin (www.purevolume.com/bensin) the synths they use sound really cool. I know these are not just normal keyboards, I'm wondering how much I need to spend to get a good sounding synth in a rock setting. Can anyone recomend any brands or specific synths?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One word you need to know: Moog.

PS: I love Motion City Soundtrack.

3. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  5. +1

EDIT: Or get a laptop with VSTi synths of those old analogue synths and a nice 88 key fully-weighted MIDI keyboard...

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I did see in a photo in this month's Bass Player of MCST in the studio with a low-end Radio Shack branded Moog MG-1 Concertmate...not a very sophisticated synth but it has "vintage" cred so they are cost more today then when they were being made.

What I heard on those clips were some generic analog synthesizer sounds (certainly in line with what an MG-1 could make). Almost ANY modern digital synth you can buy will have sounds like that preprogrammed or could be easily programmed to make them (that includes the $399 Alesis). Then there's used analogs from the 80s you can buy for $200 or less (Roland Alpha Juno-1 or Korg Poly 800 for example) that will do those sounds on the super-cheap.