Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synths

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pthump, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    I know I ask lots of questions, but here's another, I am just a curious person.

Listening to bands like motion city soundtrack (www.purevolume.com/motioncitysoundtrack) or bensin (www.purevolume.com/bensin) the synths they use sound really cool. I know these are not just normal keyboards, I'm wondering how much I need to spend to get a good sounding synth in a rock setting. Can anyone recomend any brands or specific synths?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One word you need to know: Moog.

PS: I love Motion City Soundtrack.

3. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  5. +1

EDIT: Or get a laptop with VSTi synths of those old analogue synths and a nice 88 key fully-weighted MIDI keyboard...

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I did see in a photo in this month's Bass Player of MCST in the studio with a low-end Radio Shack branded Moog MG-1 Concertmate...not a very sophisticated synth but it has "vintage" cred so they are cost more today then when they were being made.

What I heard on those clips were some generic analog synthesizer sounds (certainly in line with what an MG-1 could make). Almost ANY modern digital synth you can buy will have sounds like that preprogrammed or could be easily programmed to make them (that includes the $399 Alesis). Then there's used analogs from the 80s you can buy for $200 or less (Roland Alpha Juno-1 or Korg Poly 800 for example) that will do those sounds on the super-cheap.