1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

T-Bird Shorty Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doctormoose87, Dec 26, 2011.

1. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    Hi All

A Merry Boxing day to you all.

Gasing for another t bird. I had an epi one a year or so ago and I struggled to play it as I'm a shorty at 5'3" with smallish hands. Does anyone know if there are any brands which make a 3/4 size tbird or one with a jazz profile neck? I tried the search function but couldn't find much.

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Gibson produced a run of 400 pieces earlier this year, I had the use of one for about a month, the build quality was nice, satin finish ( not my fave thing, but nicely done) and a reasonable factory set up. Short scale and a very small headstock mean no balance issuses whatsoever, I found it to be pleasant to play, but not for me as a keeper - Interestingly for the reasons it may appeal to you, I'm tall and one thing I want in all my basses is too have feel as though they "fit" me. Nice as the little is I dwarfed it.

Here it is alongside one of my standard Gibson '76s.

donnervogel005.

3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    It might be a little more expensive but maybe look at making a Fenderbird. You could have the T-Bird body with a Fender Jazz neck. It's not as expensive if you buy a Epi Tibird and take a Jazz neck off a Squire. Anyway good luck and happy boxing day.

4. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
  5. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    The Gibbo looks rather tasty. Shame is way out of my price range. Ah well. Just out of interest would a Warmoth jazz neck fit an epi tbird body?

6. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    Do your research thoroughly before you start on a Fenderbird short scale project. Even if you find a Fenderesque short scale neck (Squier/SX has a few) you will likely need to reshape the joint to fit.

Then you will need to move the bridge forward to get the correct scale length (30" or so), which would mean your pickups are in different relative positions, affecting the tone (in theory a brighter tone).

Swapping to a shorter neck does not a short scale make.

7. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    believe they actually retail for 899-999.....

8. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    A Fenderbird- however you slice it, (Epi/Fender or Warmoth) - isn't going to be any "shorter" than a regular Epi Thunderbird. The nut might be thinner if you use a Jazz neck - but then you might just as well get a Gibson. A true Gibson Thundebrird actually weighs less than the EPi and has a much thinner nut with a sleek feel. And by the time you add up the parts costs of an Epi/Fender bird or a Warmoth bird - you'd probably be looking at just shy of what the Gibson Shortscale bird runs. There have been a few of those pop up on Evil Bay - I'd keep an eye out there.