Tab Requests

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by jtlessons, May 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jtlessons

jtlessons Inactive

Nov 19, 2010
    Worldwide
    Hey, I am looking to build up my bass tab archives: Bass Tab Archive

So send me what's on your mind or what you can't find on youtube or can't find right on youtube...lol.
    I will give it a shot. I am limited to a 4 string right now.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Outkast - Ms. Jackson

ColdEye likes this.
  3. fatt matt

fatt matt

Dec 2, 2012
    Prince-
    party up

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Been trying to figure out part of Justin Timberlake's new song (Can't Stop The Feeling) by ear, having a bit of difficult with hearing what it's doing during the second part of the main riff. (Where he plays F a few times before a short bass fill). All of the youtube covers are playing something different.

5. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada
    any song on the mask of sanity album by scarpoint, you can find them on youtube, no one has tried tabbing them out yet

6. fatt matt

fatt matt

Dec 2, 2012
    Checkout Deluca 2277 . He did a video of it the other day .

Semi Actuated likes this.
  7. Hey Jeff,
    Thanks for your tabs and website. I am actually looking for SKYDIGGERS - I Will Give You Everything. Seems pretty simple, but can use some help on it.

Much appreciated.

Ric

8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

Yes, there are way too many different cover versions on youtube, due to either,
    (A) I need to improve it(?!) or
    (B) I can't hear it clearly.

A few weeks ago, I got too detailed about that simple bass riff from "Can't Stop The Feeling" in the Recording forum.
    I've listened to the studio version and to the live performance at Eurovision 2016.
    There are quite a few variations (tiny ones, and I don't bother you with them) but here is the gist of that bass riff.

I've marked two spots with N.B. - 1 and 2.

N.B. 1. The muted/ghost note could be played on G - 3rd fret on E or as muted/ghost note of Open E, or just leave it out if you want.

N.B. 2. The bass player (at least during the live performance) sometimes plays that muted ghost note as Open D or as the muted/ghost F note on 1st fret of E.

I'm using only two left hand fingers - 1 and 4 for the whole riff.
    P.S. I've highlighted my fingering.

Can't Stop the Feeling1.PNG

Here is a sound clip from GP 6 of that bass riff only at a slower tempo - 80BPM instead of the regular 113BPM.
    It's easier to hear the nuances.

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...8/?temp_hash=c9d178199a41f69722d31d3fa8df1c4b

Attached Files:

9. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Billy Joel - Zanzibar

Please.

10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's a long piece to enter in the computer/GP 6.
    Do you have any specific questions or
    you just need the whole bass-line?

11. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    If possible verse/pre chorus/chorus, just once as it kind of just repeats this section a few times throughout the song.

The Middle walking part and the Outro walking part would be amazing to get. I love it but my ears are not up to scratch to learn.

Thanks mate.

12. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I'm using the following video as my original source.

Here is my first installment (not enough time, but to be continued) - Verse/Pre-chorus. It ends around 0:56 right before Chorus.
    (Chorus for tomorrow.)

It's ONLY MY Fingering; therefore, proceed with caution, plus...
    I have a few marked spots.
    1 and 2 - You choose where to play B and E.

3 - It should be E but I hear the F note.

In Bar 14, I hear a slide; therefore, I play that F note on the 8th fret of the A string.

In Bar 15, there is another short legato slide from C to B.

In Bar 16, (4) you choose where you want to play that C note.

In Bar 25, I hear that F note played on the 3rd fret of the D string, but you can play F on the 1st fret of the E string.

Also, please pay attention to the ghost notes articulated softly and some muted notes.

Zan-1.PNG Zan-2.PNG Zan-3.PNG Zan-4.PNG Zan-5.PNG

Here is a sound clip from Guitar Player 6 of that transcription just slower - 100BPM instead of 148BPM.
    It should be easier for you to practice.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachments/zanzibar-mp3.892762/?temp_hash=fcfbcd6457db549d9c90b3ce93036539

Attached Files:

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  13. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Wow man. That's awesome. Thanks so much :thumbsup:

14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've listened again after work, and NOW, I hear more notes - ghost/muted - in that riff.:rage:
    Here is my revision :rage: with those ghost/muted notes added.

What's more, the bass player plays that ghosted/muted note in Am9 as a short slide to C. I play it on the E string - the 8th fret, you can try C on the A string - the 3rd fret.
    I will continue tomorrow.
    Zanzibar1.PNG Zanzibar2.PNG

15. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Yeah he does play a lot of little mutes to make it a bit funkier. This is so good mate. Thanks again.

16. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've listened to the Live version of that song - "Live at Shea Stadium."
    The bass player was playing that main riff as a standard bass riff without any tiny nuances seen on the studio track.

zan-live.PNG

Here is the transcription of Chorus 1.

There are two highlighted places - 1 and 2 - where I hear those notes and I would play those notes but I cannot guarantee that it's coming from the bass guitar. Use your own judgement.

zan- chorus 1.PNG zan- chorus 2.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that Chorus 1 bass-line, repeated twice, at slower - 100BPM.

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...0/?temp_hash=e76f67102bb035a2eb473ab7016269f2

Attached Files:

17. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    This morning, I got the notes for the bass-line in Jazz Solo 1. It's a rough draft.
    Over the weekend, I'll check for nuances.

P.S. I've changed the flats in the key signature in order not to mess with GP 6's weird notation like A# instead of Bb, etc...

zanzibar-JazzSolo 1.PNG zanzibar-JazzSolo 2.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that bass-line from Jazz Solo 1. As always, at much slower rate - 148BPM instead of 296BPM(!!!)
    I don't know how to adjust the metronome volume for GP6 - it's too loud in the mix.

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...1/?temp_hash=a649a4cb476d5be2d9d9648820c36c0f

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    RickyT likes this.
  18. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY

19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Here is my transcription of the bass-line in Jazz Outro - the walking bass.
    (P.S. Even if the notes are correct, TAB notation could/should be adjusted/revised. :confused: o_O :(
    It's only my rough draft; therefore, there are quite a few open strings that could scare some of the TB members.:rollno:
    Use my bass notes but adjust your TAB accordingly! :thumbsdown:)

It took me too much time to transcribe it and enter into GP 6; therefore, it's a rough draft but the notes, more or less are correct.
    What's more, the bass player starts walking in a higher register; therefore, my fingering, fret positions are only MY FIRST vision, just to enter the CORRECT notes.
    Also, in this part - Jazz Outro - the bass player adds more chromatic notes marked as N.B. :(

Only when/if I have enough time, I could change TAB for those, overall, correct notes.
    Anyway, here is the transcription.
    Zanzibar-Jazz Outro 1.PNG Zanzibar-Jazz Outro 2.PNG Zanzibar-Jazz Outro 3.PNG Zanzibar-Jazz Outro 4.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that bass-line from GP 6.

https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...4/?temp_hash=6f952a062e33c76ce152f76d975e872b

Should you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

Attached Files:

RickyT and hondo4life like this.
  20. Please, oh please, could you transcribe Tower of Power's So I Got to Groove? :bassist:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021