Tale of new GK Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    So which is it?

Looking to purchase some new cabbage and trying to decide.

x1 4 ohm CX410

x2 8 ohm CX210

x2 8 ohm CX115

x1 8 ohm CX210 + X1 8 ohm CX410

I primarily will use either GK 700RB II or GK MBF500 with these and I play mostly rock and the occasional authentic blues gig.

Which would you pick and why?

Right now I think I'm leaning towards 2 of the 210s but finding them in stock in Atlanta seems easiest right now for the 210 410 combination (cant find but one 2x10 and only 8 ohm 410).

Turbo Sparky likes this.
  2. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    I'm really into the "line array" thing right now so I'd lean toward the 2x210 or 2x115, depending on the flavor you're looking for.
    The problem you'd run into with your last option is the drivers in the 410 would be getting half the power of those in the 210.

dbsfgyd1, Jesuguru, smogg and 5 others like this.
  3. FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Let me add that stacking those 210's will get the drivers closer to ear level which makes it much easier to hear yourself and control stage volume at the same time, which I found difficult with a 410. A side benefit is the amp is also up higher so it's easier to see for quick adjustments.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    So also as a side note if one calculates the cubic inches of each of the cabs you get 8837.8cu" per the 4x10 and 6336.5x2=12673cu" per two of the 2x10.
    I would think that would make a significant sound difference?

5. FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    That's a significant difference, surprising. I wonder if the 2x210 will end up louder and/or lower. I may need to see if I can find any more specs, though the real test would be to try them out.

Red Planet likes this.
  6. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Except no one in this neck of the woods has them in stock. Only one 2x10 and one 8 ohm 4x10 in a "distribution warehouse" and anything else custom order from GK. I cant even find out any availability until Friday from the only dealer in Atlanta I could get up with.

7. FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    I know what you mean, it's disappointing. Hopefully someone here has experience with these cabs and can offer some insight. My only input is my experience with vertical stacking. As I said I found it a huge improvement. Although I will add that I have never used any GK gear that I didn't like, solid company.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  8. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Yes at this point I can say I'm GK thru and thru. Heck if they come out with GK underwear I'm in. :laugh:

pcake, Spidey2112 and jchrisk1 like this.
  9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Huh? The drivers in the 4 ohm 410 will get the same power per driver as the 8 ohm 210 if used together.

Red Planet likes this.
  10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I'm tall and want the sound as close to my ears as possible.

Probably a pair of 210s unless either 1) they make a 212, then I'd go with a pair of 212s 2) I really need the air pushing from 8 10s, then I'd go with a pair of 410s.

Are you in some town called Atlanta in Belgium or Sudan? Tell the store to order what you want or you'll just get it sent to you from sweetwater.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Spidey2112 and Red Planet like this.
  11. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Wouldn't 210 8ohm+410 4ohm be better, each speaker will get equal power.
    Vertical 210's are just plain awesome, small footprint and easy to hear.

Lobster11 and Red Planet like this.
  12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Absolutely. IF the 700RBII and the MB 500 would have a 2.67Ω minimum load, but they don't.

Red Planet and FRoss6788 like this.
  13. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I would choose the two 8 ohm 2x10s

I like the idea of being able to create a horizontal or vertical stack, or to use just one for lower volume gigs, or to be able to keep one at home and leave one at rehearsal.

14. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    No, he was talking about the last option.

15. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    He stated an 8 Ohm 410, not the 4 Ohm. The 4 Ohm 410 would be great with the 8 Ohm 210.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I really love the sound of this cabinet.

The CX410 has a real fullness to it and you could play any place with that box.

SwitchGear, Spidey2112 and Red Planet like this.
  17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Without your being able to try them in person, this is a very difficult decision. I haven't played the cabs in question, but they may sound a good bit different from one another - and without taking your tonal preference for each into account that just leaves us with nothing to decide on but posted specs.

So then, without further ado, let's do just that! :)

As long as you're planning on running two of these, I'd say that the power handling shouldn't matter. Any two of those CX cabs should be more than adequate enough to handle the power from your 700RB-ii.

Next up: weight. 67lbs is pretty heavy in my book - at least nowadays. I remember back when moving a 70lb 210 was nothing... but now 70lbs definitely is something to me. And maybe to you too. Personally I'd rather move two sub 40lb cabs than one 70lb cab, but I know others that feel the opposite is true.

So in my opinion, that leaves us with the 210s and 115s.

They're both the same size, so the primary trade-offs appear to be in the departments of:
    -weight
    -efficiency
    -extension?
    -dispersion?

The weight difference of 35 vs 37 pounds isn't that big of a difference.

By the published specs the efficiency difference between the two is enormous, but GK has admitted to me that the published efficiency specs are likely wrong. From GK, the 210 is rated at 99dB, with the 115 probably around 98db.

As for extension, I'm not sure how much the GK specs can be trusted due to the efficiency confusion noted above, but the 210 extension is rated from 53Hz to 18kHz and the 115 from 51Hz to 18kHz (same as the 410 FWIW). IME these specs are usually pretty meaningless when it comes to how a cab actually sounds.

Lastly, dispersion. Given that the 210 uses the diagonal arrangement to make sure they can fit into the same size cab as the 115, there's no real way to stack them to get the drivers to align vertically. With 115s you can. Will it make a meaningful difference? Any difference at all? Who knows, but just calling it out.

So with all that being said I'd say that a pair of 210s might work slightly better if you're trying to maximize the volume from your 700RB-ii as the sensitivity is slightly better.

If not, I'd seriously consider a pair of 115s. They weigh less, may have a slightly better dispersion pattern when stacked, and if you ever get crazy and damage your cabs, it'd be less painful to replace two drivers vs. potentially four.

Good luck with the decision!

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Very thought out response thanks Kro!

So its either two 115 or two 210. The cubic feet of two of these are a far bit larger than the 410.

Anyone know how hot the tweeters are in these cabs? As there is only a switch.

19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    True, but for me, the size issue is rated against the "will it fit in my trunk" spec. If the answer is no, it's an immediate disqualification. If the answer is yes, then size doesn't really matter - it fits! :)

It's not like weight IMO where incremental improvements actually make a noticeable difference. YMMV.

Al Kraft and Red Planet like this.
  20. x2 8 ohm CX115. Only reason I can give you is I just like 15's. It's what I've always used and I don't care for 10's.

edencab likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021